SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE November 2013

what is a denialist

Chandler Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Nov 2013 18:27:56 -0500

Mitchel, we have sometimes disagreed in the past, but I hope
I have never used inflammatory terms. This is not only because
I don't want to incite anyone to murder you, but also because
I really am not motivated to insult you.

I don't know what is dangerous name-calling in your view.
For example, I don't mind being called a liberal: the word has
many meanings, some of which are accurate as applied to me and
some not; even if someone mislabels me due to misunderstanding
my position, this is not necessarily closing down communication
between us, for I may clarify things in setting them straight.
When Thomas Smith as the climax of an outburst scornfully
called the lot of us liberals, he meant to be insulting, and
it was that intention that was offensive.

It had not occurred to me that "denialist" was a fighting word.
Is there an ideology of denialism? and if so, what is the
courteous word to denote it? I think there is not. In my
experience, "HIV/AIDS denialism" means something; "climate
change denialism" means something; I can't imagine what other
denialisms you intended to list for us, but surely those who
deny one thing --Sen. Inhofe, say-- don't automatically deny
the others.

Does this make me so woefully out of touch as you say? Then
you have an opportunity to educate. I promise not to call you
a running dog of the imperialists.

Chandler