Re: Blast from the past

Steven Knight <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Nov 2013 13:37:52 -0500

Kirk,
Thanks for the references. Your comment on evaluating blood flow (or any system) while emulating real life is well taken.  Now I'm going to have to search for work on pulse wave velocity in upright subjects. Talk about a paradigm shift...

~S

Steve Knight BSc RVT RDCS
Senior Vascular Technologist

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
CardioVascular Institute
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery

110 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02215

(617) 632-9962 Phone
(617) 632-7977 Fax
www.bidmc.org

-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kirk W Beach
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Blast from the past

Dear Friends,

I'm sorry to hear of those who are too old to remember impedance plethysmography.

You can see an updated version of modern lower extremity IPG in Figure 1 of both of these papers.

Sanders JE, Allyn KJ, Harrison DS, Myers TR, Ciol MA, Tsai EC.
Preliminary investigation of residual-limb fluid volume changes within one day.
J Rehabil Res Dev. 2012;49(10):1467-78.

Sanders JE, Harrison DS, Allyn KJ, Myers TR, Ciol MA, Tsai EC.
How do sock ply changes affect residual-limb fluid volume in people with transtibial amputation?
J Rehabil Res Dev. 2012;49(2):241-56.

For curiouis about your success in duplex scanning the leg a patient who is walking, running, or jumping.
Particularly scanning the residual limb of an amputated lower extremity to study the in-socket dynamics.

The future is not in studying supine patients at the time of their appointment in the convenient setting of your laboratory.
It is in studying the arterial and venous dynamics of patients, 24/7 as they live their regular lives.

Norman Holter introduced ambulatory electrocardiograms over half a century ago to study arrhythmia.  But we have not, as yet, followed for arterial or venous physiology studies.

Duplex ultrasound studies are possible on ambulatory patients, but they are not easy.

Avinash Eranki, Nelson Cortes, Zrinka Gregurić Ferenček, Siddhartha Sikdar A Novel Application of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Imaging J Vis Exp. 2013 Sep 17;(79).

Ballyns JJ, Turo D, Otto P, Shah JP, Hammond J, Gebreab T, Gerber LH, Sikdar S Office-based elastographic technique for quantifying mechanical properties of skeletal muscle.
J Ultrasound Med. 2012 Aug;31(8):1209-19.

Eranki A, Bellini L, Prosser L, Stanley C, Bland D, Alter K, Damiano D, Sikdar S.
Measurement of tendon velocities using vector tissue Doppler imaging: a feasibility study Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010;2010:5310-3. doi: 10.1109/IEMBS.2010.5626323.

Kirk