Re: Hunter question

Scott Sainsbury <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:35:34 -0500

Thanks Mona,

I agree!  DU has been a great resource in support of waterfowl habitat protection and improvement.  We belonged for many years (although I think my membership is not current), and have many trinkets from auctions at DU dinners scattered around the house.  There are also many duck stamp prints hanging on our walls.

To be clear to everyone, like you, I'm not advocating an "us vs. them" position.  Many who participate in non-harvesting enjoyment of the outdoors, and many of the great thinkers on the environment (Leopold, et.al.) were / are both sportsmen and conservationists.  I have no interest in working against their activities.

But I also think that the decision-making table is missing a group of "users" and a "point of view" that should be represented.  And I think that that group (non-harvesters) won't be represented until they can put some skin (money) in the game.  Hence the idea of a separate user funding channel that could be offered up to justify expansion of the F&W focus beyond a narrow range of habitats and species.

Thanks for your note.  I think / hope we're on the same path.

Scott

Scott Sainsbury
Beacon Associates
P.O. 1660