VTBIRD Archives

December 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Michele Patenaude <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 10:24:46 -0500
The Glaucous Gull I saw at Sandbar State Park yesterday was not an adult. It did not have a yellow bill with red spot as an adult would. Because it had a light gray mantle, white chest and yellow eyes, I assumed it was adult. (All of the Glaucous Gulls I have seen before were cream colored and speckled brown.) I think it must have been a second or third winter bird. It had some very faint brown markings in the secondaries. The bird was close, perhaps 20 to 30 yards away. The bill was pink with  a black tip.

Thanks to Eric Hynes for asking about it and helping me to learn more.

Michele Patenaude
172 Woodbury Road
Burlington, VT 05408
802-862-4085