VTBIRD Archives

December 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:21:22 -0500
Yesterday I stepped out of my house and was startled by a huge bird only about two feet above my head, gliding almost soundlessly away from me. It was a gorgeous Red-tailed Hawk that had  been sitting on the little roof right over the back door - a perch that provides a great view of feeders. I've seen a Red-tailed several times in nearby open fields by the now-frozen beaver pond. This bird must have noticed activity in my yard and decided it would be easier to find lunch there than in the open - and it could snuggle up against the house, out of the wind.

I've always known these birds are big and impressive - but I never felt it as much as yesterday, when I could almost have touched one!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center