]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  January 2014

VTBIRD January 2014

Re: Northern Hawk Owl (again) no Snowy, and Evening Grosbeaks

Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:13:45 -0500

Great pix!

A Red-Tail could certainly take a Hawk Owl, but only opportunistically
if it somehow got very close to it.  A Red-Tail cannot effectively and
generally would not even try to target a smaller and considerably more
maneuverable bird.  (Well, a first-year RT might in late summer or fall
when they're still learning their trade, but surely by now the
youngsters have figured out what's worth expending energy on.)

Red-Tails are incredibly versatile, but they're designed to focus on
small mammals, rodents particularly, not other birds.  They do well
with, for instance, Coots, which are slow-moving and require a fair
distance to take off from the water.  They snag crows occasionally
because crows sometimes get too bold and careless in harassing them too
closely and pay the price for that.  I once even saw a Red-Tail
successfully battle a big tough Herring Gull.  But as a general matter,
RTs aren't built for preying on other birds.

So unless the hawk owl does something incredibly stupid, it shouldn't be
much at risk from a Red-Tail. A larger owl like a Great Horned Owl,
which could sneak up on it silently, or potentially a Peregrine, which
is capable of chasing it down in the air, would be more likely
predators, I would think.

But a NHO is a very alert, agile bird, so I think it's probably pretty safe.

Jane
(Shoreham)