]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  January 2014

VTBIRD January 2014

Lake Champlain northward march of the ice margin

"Ian A. Worley" <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:07:43 -0500

Ron Payne and I spent the day starting near DAR State Park looking for
the ice margin.  Two days ago it was just north of DAR, not far from the
Champlain Bridge.  Tracking northward with multiple stops we found the
lake frozen northward to the narrows at Split Rock/Thompson Point and
beyond .... nearly 18 miles in two days!

 From the Charlotte Ferry terminal we could see a few open leads (with a
very few ducks) plus the ferry-broken path.

Finally, at Charlotte beach there was considerable open water with a
small variety of birds, all of which have been reported from there recently.

Nowhere were we able to see any extensive numbers of waterfowl. However,
the considerable difference between water and air temperatures sharply
limited the distance one could see.

Ian