Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2014, Week 4

MEDLIB-L January 2014, Week 4

My Last thought Re: Library closing thread

"Kraft, Michelle" <[log in to unmask]>

Kraft, Michelle

Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:01:43 -0500

I just want to mention that back in 2009 Ohio governor made an
unanticipated announcement proposing a 50% cut to funding for public
libraries. If this cut went through many Ohio libraries would have been
closed. It was the librarians of those libraries and the librarians in
the state of Ohio that mobilized. They did not wait for ALA. On the
day of the governor's announcement the hashtag #saveohiolibraries was
created for Twitter to categorize Twitter messages. A Facebook group
was started and had over 50,000 members in 3 weeks. A librarian (not
ALA) created the website www.saveohiolibraries.com where she tracked the
latest developments. The social media movement was so strong that the
Ohio funding issue hit the national stage with Neil Gaiman and Perez
Hilton. The legislators received between 37,000-45,000 emails in one
week on the issue. While cuts did happen, the campaign was considered a
success because more than $140 million was saved and many public
libraries were saved.

I don't know whether social media is our answer. My point is that in
the very beginning it was regular plain ol' working librarians who
started and fought the good fight. They didn't wait for ALA to do
something with all of its lobbying staff.