Re: library closing - thanks

"Gore, Sally A" <[log in to unmask]>

Gore, Sally A

Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:38:25 +0000

Thanks, Michelle. Your point re the need for solid research in this area is echoed in the Brief Communications piece by Jonathan Eldredge, Marie Ascher, Heather Holmes, and Martha Harris (JMLA, July 2012) where they report the results of their surveys of MLA leaders and members of the MLA Research Sections to determine and define the research agendas for our profession in the coming years. The top-ranked research question provided from the results was:

"What is the quantifiable evidence that the presence of a librarian, not just information resources, improves patient outcomes, increases research dollars, improves student outcomes, or increases hospital intelligence?"

We have long-failed in answering this question and establishing evidence of the value of a librarian more than the library (See David Shumaker's great recent blog post on the importance of being clear in how we speak of our value, http://embeddedlibrarian.com/2014/01/05/little-things-mean-a-lot/). I know that I harp topic a lot, too. We often report about closing libraries, but it's equally, if not more, important to speak of the loss of librarians. Michelle makes this differentiation in her comments and I appreciate that.

It's a challenge (and an opportunity) that we'd do well, as a profession, to take on.

Sally

Sally Gore, MS, MS LIS
Research Librarian & Informationist
Lamar Soutter Library
UMass Medical School
(508) 856-1966

Blog: Librarians Wear Many Hats (http://librarianhats.net)
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-6160-2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kraft, Michelle
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: library closing - thanks

What happens to the hospital and the hospital staff when the librarian is eliminated?  I have been asking this question for several years.  I have wondered if there is a correlation with top hospitals and library services. Do more top hospitals have librarians than those that aren't top hospitals?  Asking what happens to hospitals that eliminate the librarian is kind of the flip side of the question.

There have been hospitals within our system that no longer have librarians and we have had to work through various challenges as a result.  Just from my observations from personal and others' situations I can say that the hospital staff suffer and the hospital doesn't realize any savings.  Often the hospital will buy a product (one that was previously negotiated by librarians) and they sometimes end up paying more for the subscription, fail to leverage it correctly (add off campus access, connect to other full text resources, etc), and fail to adequately promote it or educate users on it.  Not only might they pay more for the subscription but their ROI is miserable because people don't use it.

I think we need a study to see what actually happens when the librarian is gone.  We have enough anecdotal evidence to choke a horse, what we need is the hard stats, financial implications, etc.  That is more difficult to get because the librarians are no longer at the hospital to get this information.  But if we could get both information and marry it together and if it creates a compelling picture then it needs to be presented in mediums that aren't dedicated to medical libraries.  With all due respect to our library journals, our doctors, administration, etc. don't read them.

I would also be curious to know if there are library vendors that are interested in this problem because ultimately they are impacted as well.  As the librarian leaves, the resources are eventually cut.  Even if the hospital keeps or returns to a product, the hospital leveraging the product poorly will still impact the vendor because they may cut it due to poor usage.  I know one hospital (with a library!!!) that paid GOBS of money to a vendor for a nursing product.  Unfortunately nursing administration did not seek the library's input, nursing did it all on their own.  The product was poorly used and was later dumped for another nursing product.  I don't know if the new product is suffering the same usage problems but if it is being leveraged the same way as the previous one, what makes anyone think it won't suffer the same fate?

Unfortunately, research is not my strong point.  Additionally, I think we need information from across the United States to make an impact and I personally don't have that kind of information.   I have no idea where to start with such a large scope project.  I just think it is something that we need to consider.

Just my .02 cents as I type to warm up my frozen fingers on a cold snowy day.
Michelle