Re: library closing - thanks

Julie Stielstra <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:11:07 -0600

I can add nothing more eloquent or impassioned to what has already been
said.  I agree with Michelle Kraft about the need for hard data to prove
our value.  I would only suggest that studies like that MUST be done and
published in partnership with the staff we work with AND FOR (docs,
administrators, etc.) AND IN *THEIR* JOURNALS, not JMLA et al.  JMLA is
more or less preaching to the choir, frankly, and I can't imagine any CEO
or VP being impressed by a study showing how important libraries are
appearing in the house organ.  WE read JMLA, just like surgeons reads JACS
and cardiologists read JACC.  So to influence administrators, this info
needs to be in Health Affairs, in JONA, in ACHE's journal, in BMJ Quality &
Safety, etc.  MAYBE then they would pay some attention.  Maybe.  The trick
then is how to put together the data in a way that would make it attractive
to THOSE journals.

--
Julie Stielstra, MLS
Manager, Libraries of Cadence Health

"Never...be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those
three vices...and I can always be hopeful of you."  -- Betsy Trotwood to
David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)