SKIVT-L January 2014, Week 4

Daily Morning Vermont Weather

"Wesley A. Wright" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Jan 2014 06:50:05 -0500

Expires:201401252100;;957427
FPUS51 KBTV 251118
ZFPBTV
ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
618 AM EST SAT JAN 25 2014

VTZ006-252100-
LAMOILLE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSON...STOWE
618 AM EST SAT JAN 25 2014
.TODAY...SNOW SHOWERS. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. HIGHS IN
THE LOWER 20S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT.
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN
PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. TOTAL
SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES. COLDER WITH LOWS AROUND 8 BELOW.
SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF
SNOW 70 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 24 BELOW.
.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY.
HIGHS AROUND 1 ABOVE. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO
25 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 27 BELOW.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY. LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION
POSSIBLE. COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 3 BELOW. TEMPERATURE RISING TO
AROUND 8 ABOVE AFTER MIDNIGHT. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF
SNOW 60 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 21 BELOW.
.MONDAY...SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY. ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION
POSSIBLE. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 20S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS
UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.
.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. COLD WITH LOWS 5 BELOW TO 10 BELOW
ZERO.
.TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE
OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS AROUND 10 ABOVE. LOWS AROUND ZERO.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 10 TO 15.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS AROUND ZERO.
HIGHS 15 TO 20.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW
SHOWERS. LOWS AROUND 5 ABOVE.
.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 20S.
$$

Expires:201401251200;;957860
ASUS41 KBTV 251130
RWRBTV
VERMONT REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
600 AM EST SAT JAN 25 2014
NOTE: "FAIR" INDICATES FEW OR NO CLOUDS BELOW 12,000 FEET WITH NO
SIGNIFICANT WEATHER AND/OR OBSTRUCTIONS TO VISIBILITY.
* THESE REPORTS ARE NOT UNDER NWS QUALITY CONTROL AND/OR DO NOT
  REPORT WEATHER SUCH AS PRECIPITATION AND FOG.

VTZ001>019-251200-
_____VERMONT_____

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
BURLINGTON     CLOUDY    16   0  49 S13G24    29.62F WCI   2
MONTPELIER     CLOUDY    11  -2  56 S9        29.62F
MORRISVILLE    CLOUDY    15  -3  44 S9        29.60F
ST. JOHNSBURY*   N/A     12  -2  53 MISG      29.64F
LYNDONVILLE*   CLOUDY    11  -3  52 SW10G17   29.61F WCI  -2
MIDDLEBURY*    FAIR      18  -1  44 SE10G18   29.61F WCI   6
RUTLAND*       CLOUDY    16  -6  38 SE14G20   29.62F WCI   1
SPRINGFIELD    MOSUNNY   12  -2  53 S8        29.72F
HIGHGATE*      CLOUDY    19   0  44 S10G20    29.58F WCI   7
NEWPORT*       LGT SNOW  12   5  73 S10       29.59F WCI  -2
BENNINGTON     CLOUDY    17  -2  43 S13       29.65F WCI   4
SUTTON*          N/A      9 N/A N/A MISG        N/A
MT. MANSFIELD*   N/A      1 N/A N/A SW17        N/A  WCI -19
_____LAKE CHAMPLAIN_____

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
BURTON ISLAND*   N/A     18   5  57 SE26        N/A  WCI  -1
COLCHESTER RF*   N/A     21  10  63 SW39        N/A  WCI   1
DIAMOND ISL*     N/A     18   3  53 S21         N/A  WCI   1
$$

Expires:No;;957636
FXUS61 KBTV 251128
AFDBTV
AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
628 AM EST SAT JAN 25 2014
.SYNOPSIS...
A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH
EARLY THIS UPCOMING WEEK WITH SEVERAL DISTURBANCES PRODUCING
OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS. FOR TODAY...A WEAK CLIPPER LIKE SYSTEM WILL
PRODUCE GUSTY WINDS AND OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS WITH TEMPERATURES IN
THE TEENS TO MID 20S. MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES ARRIVE
TONIGHT...ALONG WITH GUSTY WESTERLY WINDS...CREATING BITTERLY COLD
WIND CHILL VALUES BY SUNDAY MORNING. ANOTHER ROUND OF SNOW SHOWERS
ARE EXPECTED MONDAY...FOLLOWED BY MORE ARCTIC AIR FOR TUESDAY.
&&
.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
AS OF 622 AM EST SATURDAY...FCST IN GOOD SHAPE THIS MORNING WITH
CRNT RADAR SHOWING LIGHT SNOW DEVELOPING ACRS THE NORTHERN GREEN
MTNS AND PARTS OF THE DACKS. THIS TREND WL CONT TODAY AND WL
SLOWLY FILL-IN ACRS THE CPV. HOWEVER...CXX VAD SHOWS 85H WINDS OF 45 KNOTS
FROM THE SOUTHWEST...WHICH WL CAUSE SOME SHADOWING HERE IN THE
CPV. ALSO...VERY DRY LLVLS CONT SO VIRGA WL OCCUR INITIALLY ACRS
MOST OF THE REGION...ESPECIALLY DEEPER VALLEYS. STILL ANTICIPATE
COLD FRNT TO BE APPROACHING THE SLV BY 00Z TODAY WITH SOME
ENHANCED SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY POSSIBLE ALONG THE BOUNDARY. TEMPS
WL WARM INTO THE UPPER TEENS TO MID 20S WITH GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS
AT 15 TO 30 MPH.
WINTER WX ADVISORY CONTINUES FOR SLV/DACKS FOR THE COMBINATION OF
2 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW AND AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW THROUGH 10 PM THIS
EVENING.
FCST CHALLENGE TODAY WL BE TIMING/AREAL COVERAGE AND INTENSITY OF
SNOW...FOLLOWED BY WINDS AND TEMPS. WATER VAPOR SHOWS RIBBON OF
ENHANCED MID LVL MOISTURE ACRS THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES WITH GENERAL
MOVEMENT TWD OUR CWA...WHILE POTENT 5H VORT DROPS ON BACKSIDE OF
DIGGING MID/UPPER LVL TROF ACRS THE NORTHERN PLAINS. THIS MOISTURE
AND DYNAMICS WL COMBINED WITH SFC LOW PRES AND ASSOCIATED COLD FRNT
TO PRODUCE OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS ACRS OUR CWA TODAY. A STRONG
SOUTHWEST 85H JET OF 40 TO 50 KNOTS WL LIMIT QPF/SNOWFALL ACRS THE
CPV...BUT STRONGEST CORE OF WINDS SHIFT EAST OF OUR CWA BY 18Z
TODAY...WHILE DEEP LAYER MOISTURE IS STILL AVAILABLE. SOUNDINGS SHOW
>80% 800 TO 400MB RH VALUES ACRS OUR CWA TODAY...ALONG WITH SOME MID
LVL LIFT...AND FAVORABLE SNOW GROWTH PARAMETERS...SO STILL EXPECTING
A LIGHT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL OF 1 TO LOCALIZED 4 OR 5 INCHES
LIKELY. HIGHEST AMOUNTS WL BE ACRS THE SOUTHERN SLV...DACKS AND MTNS
OF CENTRAL/NORTHERN VT. IN ADDITION...SOUNDINGS SHOW GOOD MIXING OF
WINDS ALOFT...WHICH WL PRODUCE GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS AT 15 TO 25
WITH GUSTS TO UP 40 MPH POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY SLV/CPV THRU 18Z
TODAY. WL MENTION AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW IN THE SLV/CPV AND
HIGHER/EXPOSED AREAS OF THE DACKS/GREEN MTNS. PROGGED 925MB TEMPS
WARM BTWN -8C AND -10C SUPPORTING HIGHS IN THE UPPER TEENS TO MID
20S...A FEW U20S WL BE POSSIBLE IN THE WARMER VALLEYS.
&&
.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 400 AM EST SATURDAY...A SHARP ARCTIC BOUNDARY WL SWEEP ACRS OUR
REGION TONIGHT...WITH 6 HOUR TEMP FALLS OF 15 TO 20 DEGREES
EXPECTED...ALONG WITH GUSTY WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25
MPH...CREATING BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILL VALUES.
ARCTIC BOUNDARY WL BE ACRS THE SLV BY 00Z...INTO THE DACKS/CPV BTWN
03-06Z...AND THRU VT BY 09Z SUNDAY...WITH RAPIDLY FALLING TEMPS AND
BRISK WINDS...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS. WL CONT TO MENTION
LIKELY/CAT POPS ACRS THE MTNS/VT THRU 06Z...PER 850 TO 500MB RH
>70%...STRONG 5H VORT CREATING DEEP LAYER LIFT...AND GOOD 925MB FGEN
FORCING ASSOCIATED WITH BOUNDARY. LOCALLY DEVELOPED SNOW SQUALL
PARAMETERS ARE UNIMPRESSIVE...DUE TO THE LACK OF INSTABILITY...SO
WHY IT MAY BRIEFLY SNOW HARD AT DURING FROPA...NOT EXPECTING
WIDESPREAD SNOW SQUALLS. SNOW SHOWERS WL QUICKLY DISSIPATE AFT
06Z...AS DEEP LAYER MOISTURE SHIFTS EAST AND WESTERLY WINDS RESULT
IN LLVL DRYING. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OVERNIGHT WL BE A
DUSTING TO 3 OR 4 INCHES.
TEMPS WL DROP QUICKLY BEHIND BOUNDARY WITH 925MB TEMPS STARTING
AROUND -9C AT 00Z...BUT FALLING TO -27C BY 15Z SUNDAY WITH 85H TEMPS
NEAR -30C ACRS NORTHERN NY. THIS ADVECTION OF VERY COLD AIR...WL
RESULT IN RAPID FALLING TEMPS OVERNIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING WITH
LOWS RANGING FROM -10F TO -20F DACKS/SLV/NORTHERN VT TO -5F TO +5F
ACRS THE CPV/CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VT. THESE SFC TEMPS COMBINED WITH
WESTERLY WINDS BTWN 10 AND 20 MPH WITH SOME HIGHER GUSTS WL CREATE
WIND CHILL VALUES BTWN -30F AND -40F ACRS THE DACKS/SLV AND NORTHERN
VT...AND -15F TO -30F CPV/CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VT. WIND CHILL
ADVISORIES AND WARNINGS WL LIKELY BE NEEDED ACRS THE REGION. I WL
MENTION IN HWO AND LATEST WSW...BUT GIVEN CRNT HEADLINE IN EFFECT
WON'T ISSUE ANOTHER PRODUCT ATTM. FURTHERMORE FOR THE MTN SUMMITS I
HAVE CALCULATED WIND CHILL VALUES BTWN -50F AND -65F ON SUNDAY
MORNING WITH TEMPS BTWN -15F AND -25F AND WINDS OF 35 TO 50 MPH.
SUNDAY-MONDAY...NEXT CLIPPER LIKE SYSTEM APPROACHES OUR WESTERN CWA
BY 06Z MONDAY...WITH LLVL WAA DEVELOPING BY LATE SUNDAY. THIS WL
RESULT IN RAPID WARMING OF LLVL THERMAL PROFILES LATE SUNDAY INTO
MONDAY...WITH DEVELOPING SOUTHERLY WINDS.  ONCE AGAIN...SYSTEM WL
PASS JUST TO OUR NORTH ON MONDAY...WITH A PERIOD OF SNOW SHOWERS
LIKELY. BOTH NAM/GFS AND ECMWF SHOW GOOD RIBBON OF MID LVL MOISTURE
AND FAVORABLE PVA FROM POTENT 5H VORT MOVING ACRS OUR CWA.
HOWEVER...SOME SHADOWING WL BE POSSIBLE OFF THE DACKS ACRS THE CPV
AND QUICK MOVEMENT WL LIMIT QPF/SNOWFALL. THINKING ANOTHER DUSTING
TO 4 OR 5 INCHES POSSIBLE...WITH HIGHEST VALUES OVER THE MTNS. TEMPS
WL CONT THE ROLLER COASTER RIDE WITH VALUES -5F TO +10F FOR HIGHS ON
SUNDAY...QUICKLY DROPPING EARLY SUNDAY NIGHT...BEFORE WARMING AFT
03Z MONDAY. HIGHS MONDAY LOOKS SIMILAR TO TODAY WITH VALUES IN THE
TEENS MTNS/NEK TO MID 20S WARMER VALLEYS.
&&
.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
AS OF 315 AM EST SATURDAY...ANOTHER SURGE OF ARCTIC AIR PUSHES IN
MONDAY NIGHT BEHIND DEPARTING LOW PRESSURE. COLD AIR ADVECTION
COMBINED WITH SHORTWAVE TROUGH MOVING ACROSS THE REGION WILL BE
SUFFICIENT TO PRODUCE SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE NORTHERN
MOUNTAINS...WITH ONLY SLIGHT CHANCE OR DRY CONDITIONS ELSEWHERE.
LOOK FOR TEMPS TO DROP TO BETWEEN ZERO AND 15 BELOW. MORE SNOW
SHOWERS TUESDAY OVER THE NORTHERN ZONES AS UPPER TROUGH MOVES ACROSS
THE AREA AND WESTERLY FLOW PROVIDES SOME MOISTURE FROM GREAT LAKES.
HIGHEST POPS OVER THE ADIRONDACKS. MAX TEMPS TUESDAY WILL ONLY BE IN
THE SINGLE DIGITS TO AROUND 10 ABOVE. WITH WESTERLY FLOW CONTINUING
TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY THERE WILL BE A CONTINUED CHANCE OF
SNOW SHOWERS DOWNWIND OF THE GREAT LAKES...AFFECTING PRIMARILY THE
ADIRONDACKS AND PERHAPS THE NORTHERN GREENS. ARCTIC AIRMASS BEGINS
TO MODIFY WITH HIGHS WEDNESDAY IN THE LOWER TO MID TEENS AND LOWS
WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITHIN A FEW DEGREES OF ZERO. A WEAK DISTURBANCE IN
THE FLOW ALOFT MAY BRING A FEW SNOW SHOWERS TO THE REGION THURSDAY
AFTERNOON AND NIGHT...BUT OTHERWISE EXPECT JUST SOME CLOUDS AND
MAINLY DRY WEATHER FOR THE END OF THE WEEK. TEMPERATURES CONTINUE
THEIR SLOW CLIMB BACK TO MORE SEASONABLE LEVELS...WITH HIGHS ON
FRIDAY IN THE LOWER TO MID 20S.
&&
.AVIATION /12Z SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
THROUGH 06Z SUNDAY...MAINLY VFR CONDITIONS EXPECTED THRU 12Z
EXCEPT SLK/MSS WHICH WILL SEE SNOW SHOWERS AND MVFR CONDITIONS
DEVELOP BETWEEN 08Z-12Z. AFTER 12Z...CONDITIONS LOWER TO MVFR/IFR
AT ALL SITES IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH SOUTH-SOUTHWEST
WINDS 15-20 KTS GUSTING 30 KTS. MAINLY IFR DURING SATURDAY AT
SLK/MSS AND MPV AFTER 15Z...AND PREVAILING MVFR AT REST OF TAF
SITES. COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE AFTER 00Z SUNDAY WITH SNOW TAPERING TO
SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. BRIEF SNOW SQUALL POSSIBLE...BUT OVERALL
CONDITIONS IMPROVING TO MVFR/VFR. WINDS SHIFT INTO THE WEST AT 15
GUSTING 25 KTS.
OUTLOOK 06Z SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...
SURFACE RIDGE WITH VFR CONDITIONS DEVELOPS ON SUNDAY...BEFORE NEXT
CLIPPER WITH ADDITIONAL SNOW SHOWERS AND IFR CONDITIONS ARRIVE
SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. MAINLY VFR MONDAY NIGHT ONWARD...EXCEPT
SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS WITH MVFR/IFR CONDITIONS POSSIBLE...MAINLY
AT AT SLK/MPV.
&&
.BTV WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
VT...NONE.
NY...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING FOR
     NYZ026-027-029-030-034-087.
&&
$$
SYNOPSIS...TABER