LISTSERV Archives

VAGUE Home

VAGUE  February 2014

VAGUE February 2014

We meet today but not next week!

Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:06:02 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings List Lurkers

Looks like we are back to suffering the New England winter. I have
a confession to make.  Next week I will be down in Myrtle Beach, as far
from this ardent display of Calvanizim as I can find.

We are meeting today, and tomorrow I get on a jet and go visit the
relatives.  Despite this break in the constant cycle of suffering that is
a New Englanc Winter, a major objective is to continue to try to figure
out how to invest the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems
Institute into more than just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more
into a real learning facility.  Any ideas? Don't all sing out at once.

So, this is the official notice of the Barre Open Systems Institute (BOSI)
Adult Swim. The swim stars at 5:00 PM EST, our continuing vanity being to
include a goggle hangout https://www.google.com/calendar/render?pli=1 until
6:00 PM EST.

Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of open source
products in a clinic environment.  Despite my very best of intentions, the BOSI
Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install fest, and only
secondarily a learning environment, not to say that I do not learn a lot from
attending the Swim...

Once again the goal of the meeting shall be as usual, to get organized and

try to get the various projects moving forward.  I have been really burning the
oil on the Streambot project:
http://strembot.org

I have not had a chance to work with the Op Amp that may do the job, a
TS922 "Rail Splitter".  I will not rest till I have 1000 points.

Additionally, we have been sprucing up BOSI's home site:
http://bosivt.org/, particularly in the "initiatives" section.  You can,
if you like just go to: http://docbox.flint.com:8081/ohix If you just want
to cut to the tiddlywiki.

The 40 Dells that "Santa" Stanley the "B" stopped by with over Christmas are
finding homes with deserving folks all over the area.  If we can get one dozen
working systems I shall be content.  The fetish of watching a clearly
disadvantaged man, woman, boy or girl walk out with a laptop they repaired and
put Linux on is really quite an endomorphic rush.

Otherwise, expect to be incessantly preached at on the various topics of Open
Source and how I am confident it shall cure all the evils and ills of this

wicked world.  In a perfect meeting, people would come in, sit down, see the
stuff we have been doing and hopefully help us get the DIY stuff we are doing
done, or maybe just fix a laptop.

BTW we need Dell 20 volt power supplies real bad.  Give a call or email if you
have any.  I am trying to figure out if we can use old PC power supplies
in the meantime.

This evening we are again expecting to G+ with Cole and Yarger from down south,
and see what these good gentlemen are up to.

One project I would like to move a bit forward in the next few weeks is the
Robotsrules.org project (http://robotsrules.org/). Now that the hard part is
done and the actual decision making code is available we need to update this
base, get it up on GIT hub and start building the other stuff to go around it.
I really need a CNC router for this project.  Anybody got any ideas, expertise
or rather expensive hardware?

The ever growing list of projects includes:
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs - ok, it is on the list.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot - jesum they love this robot
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon - monitor that pellet furnace
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino - moving in the arduino groove
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/javajive - to get better at Javascript
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp  - Temperature Sensors Project
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules - The quest for Roberts Rules -
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash - Yea, I am not kidding...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg - remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry - all rPi'ness
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org - maybe a very cool project.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized - oh please let me be organized!
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music - this may be the least organized
    site ever!

Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source
Software meeting and general system rejuvenation.  That said, we expect to

assemble more of the Dallas Semi "1-wire" temperature probes, and we have a
Leonardo, which I am not very happy with, many Arduinos, with lots of shields
and other fixin's as well as several Raspberry Pi's a boat load of radio
modules, many broken Dell laptops and an embarrassment of riches in terms of
books.

Needless to say the Arduino remains the coolest thing for 2012, the Raspberry
Pi the coolest thing so far for 2013, and Ras-BMC the coolest thing for the
month of April, xBMC for May, PiFm the coolest thing for June.  Solarfest was
the coolest thing in July, and the Maker Fair was cool for September. August
was too chaotic to have a cool thing I suppose. So the cool took a few months
vacation, thanks to  Anthony Carrico, cool is back in the form of a
command line element "lsblk", officially the coolest thing all year (the
man is a god...:^).

So, do not forget that the Barre library stocks "Linux World", and the latest
issue is on the shelf.  The DVD's are available to checkout and copy, we intend
to continue provide copies and isos of each and every one.

Anyway, come and do open source stuff. For more information about the BOSI

Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

http://family.flint.com/adult_swim_location/index_html

Show up at the the Hedding United Methodist Church Basement if you have
questions or are interested in Linux or the concept of free and open systems,
The basement of the Hedding UMC facility is actually working out pretty well.

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note.  Note that the mailing list system is a bit peevish

right now.  Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641

http://www.bosivt.org
http://www.flint.com/home
skype: flintinfotech
(802) 595-9365 Cell

Consilium                                       _
gratuitum        .~.     ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
valet            /V\      against HTML e-mail   X
quanti          /( )\     www.asciiribbon.org  / \
numerantur      ^^-^^