]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  May 2014, Week 5

MEDLIB-L May 2014, Week 5

Re: SUMMARY: REF - filters for refereed, peer-reviewed articles in databases

Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 May 2014 12:22:47 -0500

Since this is a common need in nursing education, with many hospitals
serving nurses involved in lifelong learning, including academic and
continuing education/certification activities,  I'm copying this to the HLS
and NAHRS lists, as well as MEDLIB.  Many in HLS and NAHRS (closed lists)
choose not to read MEDLIB regularly, due to the large amount of "noise" of
MEDLIB.  Academic nursing librarians with separate ILL departments rarely
participate in MEDLIB. HLS, the Hospital Libraries Section and the Nursing
and Allied Health Resources Section (NAHRS) are the two largest sections,
well worth the cost of section membership, IMHO.

Regarding the CINAHL Peer-Reviewed subset designations, these were
developed after a discussion at an INANE Conference (
http://nursingeditors.com/) several years ago.  Before EBSCO acquired the
CINAHL Database, Cinahl Information Systems conducted a regular survey of
journal editors/publishers (those involved blind-copied to verify), which
included a question on types of peer-review. This information was part of
their Journal Description records, which have disappeared from the
database.  I'm not sure if they still do this, or if EBSCO/CINAHL would be
willing to work with the NAHRS Journal Project for the next NAHRS Selected
List of Journals for Nursing. However, this was a question asked by the
NAHRS Journal Project team & collaborating Editors (
http://nahrs.mlanet.org/home/activities/jrnproj) on the NAHRS/INANE Nursing
Editor Surve<http://nahrs.mlanet.org/home/images/activity/journal_proj/nahrs_inane_survey.pdf>y.
 (Link to survey tool; Summary and presentation to INANE will be posted on
the Journal Project page).  Unfortunately, responses represented only 91 of
the  212 Titles on the List.  The JMLA article, Developing an
evidence-based list of journals for
nursing<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988758/>,
is now available in PMC, including supplementary tables that should
interest nursing librarians, authors and nurse editors. The 2012 Selected
list is linked from the NAHRS home page, http://nahrs.mlanet.org/home/home,
under a link to our poster at MLA (I will send a corrected version with
links to our webmaster this afternoon, after dental appointment), *Do you
want the NAHRS Journal project to conduct a new, briefer editor/publisher
survey that includes these peer review designations?  *

Decisions on the poster's Recommendations will be made by the new NAHRS
Research Committee. *NAHRS members*, if you are willing to help (this
includes NAHRS members who volunteered to work on these projects, not just
Chair) please email Shelley Arvin, [log in to unmask], now solo
Chair of the NAHRS Research Committee (NAHRS has instituted term limits for
Committee Chairs,and I served way too long).    I have volunteered to
Co-chair the Journal Project and Mapping Nursing Teams, and requested
younger co-chairs who would go on to take the lead on these projects when
I'm no longer able to continue.  Note that the time commitment is
significant.  Please copy me if  volunteering.  Due to many vendor changes,
release of CINAHL Complete, and sparsity of information from
editors/publishers, I'd like to see the new Selected List of Journals for
Nursing published in time for Fall MLA Chapter meetings, with poster
abstract available in time for chapter submission deadlines.

Thanks for this summary and discussion - Peg

--
Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS, AHIP, FMLA
P.O. Box 2, Stratford, WI, 54484