]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  May 2014, Week 5

MEDLIB-L May 2014, Week 5

SUMMARY: REF - filters for refereed, peer-reviewed articles in databases

Heidi Adams <[log in to unmask]>

Heidi Adams <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 May 2014 15:06:25 +0000

Remember the query a few weeks back regarding peer-reviewed and refereed journals?   A good number of you were waiting for my summary, so here goes...

Summary of 9 Responses:

Do you have a source for the distinction between peer-reviewed and refereed?

**********************

I just saw your earlier email to medlib-l regarding peer reviewed journals and thought this might help.

In CINAHL you can select narrower peer reviewed limits from the Journal subset:

Blind Peer Reviewed

Double Blind Peer Reviewed

Editorial Board Reviewed

Expert Peer Reviewed

A link to EBSCO's Peer Review Policy can be found at the top right of their title lists web page: http://www.ebscohost.com/title-lists/about-peer-review-policy

**********************

Please excuse my ignorance. Can you please explain exactly what refereed is?

**********************
I might be able to help, but can you first summarize for me the difference, according to the professor you spoke with, between refereed and peer reviewed?

1. On NLM's website (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/services/peerrev.html, we are told that you can't limit your search to peer-reviewed articles.

Peer-Reviewed or Refereed Journals in PubMed(r) We have no list of peer-reviewed or refereed journals in PubMed. You cannot limit your search to peer-reviewed journals using PubMed.

Most journals indexed for PubMed are peer-reviewed or refereed, but peer review criteria and reviewer or referee qualifications vary.

Check a journal's editorial information or ask the publisher if you question a specific journal title.

Other sources, which may be available through a local library for identifying peer reviewed or refereed journals are:

Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL) database, published by EBSCO, features a Peer Reviewed subset.

The AAAS Society maintains the EurekAlert! list of peer-reviewed journals.

Ulrich's International Periodicals Directory lists journals as refereed or peer reviewed according to the publisher, R. R. Bowker.

Medical and Health Care Books and Serials in Print (also published by R. R. Bowker) Serials volume puts a symbol in front of a title of a refereed journal.

2. For the life of me, I can't find a website that distinguishes between peer-reviewed and refereed.  I'd be very interested to hear if anyone knows whether there really is a difference.

**********************

One can search in Summon and limit results to peer reviewed and Summon is publically available.  http://tinyurl.com/lc8d2uc

Not all institutions that subscribe to Summon activate the peer review limit, so you will need to see that option on the screen at the site you use to be able to invoke that limit.  The peer review limit is based in Summon upon Ulrich's

**********************
Thank you so much for contributing to my 'one more piece of knowledge' in the Medlib-L list. I never cease to wonder about how much I learn here!
It is easy for me to explain what peer review is to students. How exactly could I explain the term refereed? I checked some sites and as you said - they have described both as being same, and I thought so too, till today.   I would love that input from you

**********************

I would not rely on Ulrich's it is full of errors, even the online version.  Even Proquest and Ebsco filters don't help... Peer Reviewed doesn't necessarily mean Scholarly.  Example:  Columbia Journalism Review.  Its considered a trade journal, but is peer reviewed. The only way to tell the referee status of a journal is to look at the web site and review policies.

**********************

Interesting - I don't know the difference, didn't know there was one.

But as for PubMed - https://www.nlm.nih.gov/services/peerrev.html

**********************

What is the meaning/definition of "refereed journals"?

**********************

My personal response:

For those of you asking where my source is for the difference of peer-reviewed and refereed, I was emphatically told there is a difference by a nursing school professor.  This professor was docking students for including peer-reviewed sources that were not refereed.  I was guiding these students wrong when referring them to peer-review sources, when I didn't indicate the difference between peer-reviewed and refereed.  I didn't know there was a difference, so when I consulted with the professor for a definitive source, I was pointed to Bowker's.  Our copy is a worn and tattered 2001 edition, hence we were hoping to retrieve a newer used edition of Ulrich's (before I was educated by my fellow medical librarians the current merits of Ulrich within the responses listed above.)  In Bowker's it indicates if a journal is refereed; Nursing Clinics of North America is one such example where the publisher states it's peer-reviewed but Bowker's states it is NOT refereed.   The professor indicated refereed is when authors and peer-reviewers are blinded to others involved during the manuscript review, which is 'a step up from being peer-reviewed where no identifying information is removed for the review process.'  Hence, to help me, I remember it as "all refereed is peer-reviewed, but not all peer-review is refereed."

When my discussion with the nursing school professor first happened, I queried Medlib-L and a very wise response I received from an editor and publisher stated "In general practice the distinction is often muddled - depending on the journal or publisher.  But there is a distinction.  ...  In the case of the professor who insists on referees, he/she is correct in making a distinction.  [MEDLIB-L Digest 29 - April 2005 to 30 Apr 2005 (#2005-102)].   It was one of those late Friday afternoon questions and I received only one response...and it was the best response too, a hole-in-one!  If you're still on this listserve, thanks Dr. Sacks!

I did not get any affirmatives regarding used copies of Ulrich's or Bowker's in print.

Thanks for all your responses.   HS

**********************
Original query:

Keeping in mind the clear distinction between peer-reviewed and refereed*, and we want refereed sources not just peer-reviewed, can anyone help answer these questions we have?

1)       In the CINAHL database, there is a limit for Peer-Reviewed.  How do we know if it's Refereed and not a watered-down peer review process?

2)      Is there a way to limit to peer-reviewed or refereed in PubMed?

3)      Does anyone have an old print Ulrich's set they're willing to send us?  I am willing to pay postage.

*all refereed journals are peer-reviewed but not all peer-reviewed is refereed.  I am personally challenged by numerous libraries describing on their websites that peer-reviewed and refereed is the same, and I previously thought the same thing, but I have been corrected by a professor that this is not true;  hence we are needing to stipulate the distinction.

Any feedback you can provide would be appreciated.

Heidi Sue

Heidi Sue Adams, MS, AHIP(D) | Lead Medical Librarian | (406) 752-1739 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | DOCLINE: MTUKRH |
Kalispell Regional Medical Center | Medical Library | 310 Sunnyview Lane | Kalispell MT 59901 |
With our help, you can provide excellent patient care using the latest medical information - Rachel, Laurie, Heidi Sue @ KRMC Medical Library

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication is considered confidential, as it may contain privileged or confidential information that is protected by federal or state law. Any unauthorized direct or indirect disclosure, use, printing, alteration or copying of this communication is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately or contact the Kalispell Regional Healthcare Office of Privacy and Security at (406) 752-1742 and delete this communication and any attachments. Any opinions, views, advice or other statements contained in this communication are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily represent those of Kalispell Regional Healthcare or its affiliates. Kalispell Regional Healthcare and its affiliates claim all applicable privileges related to the information contained in or transmitted with this communication. KRHPA616