SCHOOL-IT July 2014

Re: annual Tech Survey

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Jul 2014 11:18:29 -0400

I do have questions and comments that might be of general interest, so
here goes:

When it comes to Internet bandwidth, the entire supervisory union is now
sharing one Internet connection through ENA.  I can tell you how much of
that pipe we're using in the aggregate, but if each school reports that as
their usage, that would paint a distorted picture unless you know it's an
aggregated figure, and the survey never asks about that.  I have no idea
how much of that pipe each school is using, and no way to measure it now
that school is out.  So do I guess for each school (it would be a pretty
wild guess, probably just assume the same data rate per enrolled student),
or report the aggregated figure?

"Is Internet access available to the public?"  We have a guest WIFI
network, it's encrypted, so the public can (and do) use it, but only if
they ask for, and are given, the password.  Is that public enough for the
purpose of the question, or not?  A later question asks if we have open
WIFI, that's clearly no, but for the earlier question, I'm not as sure
what's defined as public.  By the way, the instructions on some questions
refer to prior question numbers, but the question numbers didn't print on
the copies I made so I can answer the questions I can before passing these
on to the Principals to answer the ones about personnel, training, etc.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418