Re: 6 raptors in Addison County

Pamela Coleman <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Dec 2014 04:27:18 +0000

Love this!  Merry Xmas and Happy Birding :-)   Pam

      From: Alison Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:54 PM
 Subject: [VTBIRD] 6 raptors in Addison County

Good evening, VT birders,

This afternoon Pat Folsom and I decided to head to Addison County to see what we could stir up in the wet and foggy weather.  Although we didn’t find the coveted Prairie Falcon, we were not disappointed.  What we did find was Rapt-city in the rain!

On the 23rd of December I truly love to share with thee:

FIVE  RED-TAILS perched high
    seen in various locations, perched and in flight

FOUR  SHORT-EARED OWLS  (possibly)
    seen on Gage Road;  Pat and I were charmed by one that flew over our car, circling twice before moving a short distance away, then  allowing  another minute or so
    for us to soak in all the magic of this Houdini-like bird!  It appeared out of no where, or so it seemed, and within a few minutes it vanished again!  While enraptured,
  a second car  of birders were marveling at a pair of SEOW down near the abandoned barns.  They were also able to see one about .2 mile down the road as they headed
    east on their way out of Gage road.      (Yeah, I know, there may have only been two for sure, but that wrecks my Xmas song)

THREE  SNOWY OWLS  (definitely)
    Each bird had distinct plumage to assure us we were being charmed three times.  The first SNOW was on Gage Road, perched on a utility pole around  2:45.
    This bird was heavily barred with a very dark cap as well.  SNOW #2 was at the Goose Viewing Area.  It was seen at 3:54 and was perched about 100 yards from route
  17 at the first tree line edge of eastern most corn field.  Although it also was significantly barred, its head had much less black on it.SNOW #3 was seen on Sunset
  Lane, in front of the house, perched at the tree top.  It was the snowiest of them
    all, overall mostly white.

TWO KINDS’A BUTEOS
    a rough-legged seen as well

AND a  COOPER’S and a MERLIN in some trees
    Cooper’s on Otter Creek road and Merlin on Sunset Lane.  The Merlin gave us a moment of anticipated triumph, until we got a good enough look to see it wasn’t
    its bigger cousin.  Still, it was a beautiful bird to see in December.

Ali                                    Pat
Huntington                        Waitsfield