SCHOOL-IT January 2015

Re: ChromeBook Purchase and Repair?

Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:27:39 -0500

Also buying Acers lately, mostly, jst the basic 2 gig, 16 gig
configuration.   Got some really good deals on them last summer from
Staples, of all places, not the retail store, the district has an
account rep and orders through a web site for business called
Stapleslink.com, not staples.com.  If we're looking for just a few, I
get them from Walmart, the school has a charge card with them, and
they have great prices, but the quantities are limited.   Got a lot of
Samsung XE303s at first, mostly from govConnection, had massive
troubles with the touchpads not clicking (you could still do a quick
tap to get a click to register), and sent about 1/2 out for repair,
but I'm told there's a quick fix that's been posted on the web
somewhere recently, the touchpad apparently shifts in it's spot in the
case and jams the clicker, but you can free it up.  Gotta look into
that, now that the warrantees have expired.  We also replace our own
screens, on both types, as well as PC and Mac laptops.  Mostly get
them on Amazon.  Also have had a few problems where the Acer screens
just stopping working, if I open them up and reseat the cable to the
LCD, they come back to life, but since they're under warrantee still,
I usually send them back, I figure if I break one trying to repair it
myself, or it's worse than that, I could be sunk, so we send those to
Acer and they fix them.  Acer won't pay for shipping to the depot,
where Samsung and HP do, so that kind of ticks me off.

I'm going to look at those CTL chromebooks for education that got
added to the state contract recently, they look kind of cool, a bit
more rugged, except for perhaps the swiveling camera, but that feature
could be kind of handy, especially if it would swivel enough to face
out instead of in.