Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  April 2015

SCHOOL-IT April 2015

Re: SBAC--TTS speed update

Melissa Hayden-Raley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:05:06 -0400

If you are worried about the loss of sound on version 3.1 as indicated
last night, but need TTS on an iPad, here is the workaround:
Text to Speech:
When students use "Speak Question", the voice goes very fast.  There is no
speed control built into the test.
Workaround: Pause and close the test app.  Go to Settings > Accessibility.
 Turn on Speak Selection, and set the speed to something comfortable (you
can test in Safari or another app).  I found that about 10% was a good
rate.  Your mileage may vary.
When you are in the test, do not use the "Speak Question" option that is
embedded into the test.  Instead, tap/hold then highlight the text you
want, and the usual iOS menu bar pops up - tap Speak.
* Note that manually highlighting the text is clunkier than using the
embedded Speak Question.  Review this on the practice test with the
student before the test to see if this will work.  You may want to have a
laptop available for students who need this accommodation if the manual
highlighting is frustrating and the alternative of the fast voice is not
acceptable.

Melissa Hayden-Raley
Technology Supervisor
Milton Town School District