Re: How much usage is enough?--replies

"Harman, Susan E." <[log in to unmask]>

Harman, Susan E.

Tue, 4 Aug 2015 14:46:48 +0000

A number of you were interested in the replies I got to my question.  I was thinking about ebooks, etc. and most people responded about journals, but there isn't that much difference really.  Most people used some form of cost per usage, but often had different thresholds.  Also the decisions would be a little different for academic, large hospital, small hospital, etc.  Very interesting info!

Following are excerpts from replies, with identifying informant removed:

<<<<
Unfortunately we have a stable budget, as journal prices increase, so we're going to have to make some cuts. We've decided that for this first round, we're going to eliminate any titles that have a cost-per-use that is higher than the average ILL fees (even though we get most things through freeshare). So, we're looking at about $20. Taking into consideration that there are staff time that isn't included in that cost, as well as copyright fees, so we might find that we cut too much this year, and add something back. We'll see.

It's an experiment, and I think that the more years of data we have, the better decisions we'll be able to make. We want to see if we get pushback, which I don't think we will because our document delivery/ILL response rate is so fast.

That being said, there are some titles that we may keep despite high cost-per-use because the usage is really high (even if the price is too) or because of incredibly vocal/supportive users. There's a bit of politics involved as well as data-driven decision-making!  So, we aren't using hard and fast rules, as much as cost-per-use guidelines.

<<<<
I do a rough cost-per-use calculation AND look at the total number of uses MINUS usage for filling ILLs.  If usage for our own staff is over $15/use or so, AND is less than 5-7 in a year, it's definitely a candidate for cancellation, as I could legally fill that level of need via ILL.  If usage is higher than that, I'm more lenient about the cost-per-use, as that exceeds fair use guidelines, so I'd have to pay commercial fees of $30+ per article.  BUT, if the journal costs $1000 a year, and is used 15 times, it's still cheaper for me to pay $30/article ($450) than to subscribe.   It's of course all complicated by the near impossibility of picking title-by-title any more, as we're all stuck with the Big Bundles With No Substitutions problem....

<<<<
When my library physically closed in 2013, I had a report run of usage statistics by journal title. For me, any of the titles that were used less than 10 times within 6 months were discarded & subscriptions canceled.

<<<<
I think the correct amount varies from institution to institution. . .

We were thinking that if a title is used at all during the year, it was worth it.  Zero usage needed to be looked at, but, for us, that usually appears in bundled titles, so I don't worry about it.

<<<<
Usage is only one piece of data I use to make decisions to drop - and I figure cost per usage.  It's helpful to have historical use data over 2 or more years to see if the lack of use is consistent.

I track my use data in a spreadsheet through the year and have Excel figure the CPU for me. What is the tipping point of CPU? That can vary  - but if it is approaching twice the cost of an ILL fee it's a contender for dropping.

<<<<
[F]or me the answer has to do with how much money is in the budget.  When our budget was flush, we picked an arbitrary number that allowed everything to balance.  With a more constrained budget, we have made decisions based on cost per use and reasonable availability.  To elaborate, if reasonably available, we would say that the cost per use would need to be less than the "real" cost of getting it by Interlibrary Loan.  The real cost includes both staffing cost to locate + any fees the lending library charges + any collateral cost of not having it for a "vocal" user.

<<<<
At our libraries we calculate cost per use for all our electronic journals. . . . .. if it costs less than $20 per use, I will keep it. I try to balance how much an interlibrary loan article could potentially cost vs. keeping the subscription.

This goes for individual titles and bundled titles . . . Last year I ended up cancelling [2 collections] - and just bought individual subscriptions for the most used titles in each.....even with adding 34 new titles, I still saved a significant amount of money.  My rule of thumb for new titles is to give each at least two full years to become established with users before considering whether to keep permanently or not.

<<<<
[A]t the liberal arts college where I previously worked, we were starting to base our decisions for journals by comparing usage against other resources. We determined cost/use for all the journals in the collection, and the bottom third (including those with zero usage) were ones we would flag for liaisons to review with their departments.

What "review" meant for a given year and department depended on the budget for that year, whether we thought we needed to reallocate funds between departments, etc. Some years it was "you need to cut $X; these are the lowest use titles that we'll cut by default unless you tell us to cut others," other years it was "you don't have to cut this year, but review these low-use titles to see if there are other titles that would better meet your department's needs."

<<<<
We've used a combination of cost per use and impact factor here -- to the satisfaction of our faculty and other heavy users.

<<<<
We've looked at a ton of things,. . . but for what's it's worth, we've found that cost-per-use to be the most accurate stat for our use. It tends to provide the best justification for decisions, since it's a money stat.

It's also the best thing to show to the "passionate defenders." It's one thing to say that a resource is expensive (most users don't have a good handle on costs), or that it doesn't receive much use (users often think they use things more than they do, or they think they will use them more in the future), but when you can tell someone that their favorite journal cost $250 per article view last year, or that the database they want costs $50,000, most will say "woah - I don't need it that badly."

You still have to look at other factors though. Resources that are specific to smaller programs/disciplines are never going to receive the same level of usage that bigger or more general resources will, so that has to be taken into account. If it's a journal or other borrowable resource, how easy will it be to acquire from another library if you don't get it or decide to cancel it? Usage per month can be helpful as well. If all of the usage falls within one short period of time each year, that often indicates that only a specific article/component of the resource is being used, which means you might be able meet that need in other ways besides a direct subscription.

As for hard numbers, in my world, anything less than 10 uses a year is grounds for immediately cutting, regardless of the size of the program/speciality, or the cost-per-use. At that point, it's more cost-effective for the institution as a whole to fill that need via a combination of ILL and personal subscriptions for the few users using the resource than it is to carry an institutional subscription.

<<<<
Our budget has remained the same for years now, which means that we always have to cut things.  Here's how we go about it.

First, we gather all the usage statistics.  Everything we have is now online, so I use the Linkout statistics and the ones from the providers.  Next, we rank them by their usage.  After that, we usually add in the price we pay for each title and calculate the price per download.
We may compare the usage of the title with usage for the last couple of years as well.

We have a ballpark $ amount that we have to cut, so we use that to decide where to draw the line.  If something has had only a few uses, that's easy to add to the list to cut.  And, if there are enough of them to add up to our target $ amount, then we can stop there.  But we usually have to cut more than that.  At that point, what we usually do is to look at the titles with moderate usage, say in the teens for the year.  If this is an expensive title with a cost per download that's substantially more than we would pay to buy the article from the publisher, then we may select it to be cut.  The idea is, we can order articles via ILL until we reach the copyright limit, then purchase any others we need and still be saving money on that title.

Thanks for everyone's replies and interest.

Susan E. Harman, MSLS
Medical Staff Library
University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus
827 Linden Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21201
410-225-8383
Fax 410-225-8119

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments may be privileged, confidential, contain protected health information about an identified patient or be otherwise protected from disclosure. State and federal law protect the confidentiality of this information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient; you are prohibited from using, disclosing, reproducing or distributing this information; you should immediately notify the sender by telephone or e-mail and delete this e-mail.