Re: Is UpToDate a eTextbook?

"King, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>

King, Fred

Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:44:47 -0400

Followed by "and if I see you using Wikipedia for patient care, I'll take your badge away from you."

I use Google, Google Scholar, Wikipedia, etc., all the time, but if I need a reliably accurate answer, I'm going to turn to a textbook or journal article.* Wikipedia is fine if I'm curious as to when the DC Metrorail system introduced the 5000-series cars (2001), but if one of our residents needs information on how to do an appendix transplant, I'm going to refer him to Nelson's Guide to Useless Surgery.

*Not that they have a record of being 100% accurate either, I know...

Fred King
202-877-6221
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279

"I think it is no exaggeration to say that the training of a physician requries as much time, knack, and practice, as the training of a musician."
--R.C. Cabot, (Ethical Forces in the Practice of Medicine. 1906)

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Truex, Eleanor
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Is UpToDate a eTextbook?

This is EXACTLY what I say to my interns during orientation: "UTD is essentially an encyclopedia. Good place to start, but don't stop there, and never use it as your sole source of information, especially for presentations".
 I have an image in my head now of Medical Librarians everywhere saying the same thing to their medical staff patrons...

Eleanor Truex BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region

Presence
Saint Francis Hospital
355 Ridge Avenue | Evanston, IL 60202
Office: 847.316.2460

Presence
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago, IL 06057
Office: 773.665.3038
www.presencehealth.org

Please note my email address has changed!

Confidentiality notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to Presence Health. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy all copies of the original message.