LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for SCHOOL-IT Archives


SCHOOL-IT Archives

SCHOOL-IT Archives


SCHOOL-IT@LIST.UVM.EDU


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  October 2015

SCHOOL-IT October 2015

Subject:

Re: SCHOOL-IT Digest - 14 Oct 2015 to 15 Oct 2015 (#2015-277)

From:

John Lemansky <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

School Information Technology Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Fri, 16 Oct 2015 01:26:08 -0400

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (532 lines)

Once Apple discontinues signing a release (as they have done for earlier iOS versions), you cannot downgrade. See http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinstall-ios-8-3522302/

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 12:00 AM, SCHOOL-IT automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> There are 13 messages totaling 1217 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>  1. Apple TVs dropping randomly (3)
>  2. Please let people know.
>  3. iPad rollback iOS
>  4. Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail (7)
>  5. Google for
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 07:43:53 -0400
> From:    Sylvia Gagne <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Apple TVs dropping randomly
> 
> You may be experiencing co-channeling. We don't have Apple TV's here, but
> found that when there is heavy co-channeling, devices drop off even though
> they have an excellent signal.  This is the beast created by adding more
> access points.
> 
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Melissa Hayden-Raley <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> 
>> Hi All -
>> Has anyone had experience with Apple TVs dropping their Air Play clients
>> randomly?  We seem to have intermittent issues with people getting
>> dropped, but able to reconnect right after.  Wi-fi is up, clients remain
>> connected to wi-fi.  Apple TVs are updated to latest iOS.  Problem has
>> been going on for 2 years.  Different rooms, different Apple TVs... can't
>> find much that is consistent.  Wondering if anyone else has seen the same.
>> 
>> Hmm.
>> 
>> Melissa Hayden-Raley
>> Technology Supervisor
>> Milton Town School District
>> 802-893-5460
>> http://helpdesk.mtsd-vt.org
>> 
>> 
>> __________________________________________________________________
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
>> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
>> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
>> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of the
>> original message.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 07:58:59 -0400
> From:    Ed Barry <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Please let people know.
> 
> Hi Folks,
> 
> Just a reminder that tomorrow, Friday, if the last day to register for
> evening sessions if you want the equipment with them.  The "bring your own"
> part will stay open for a few more weeks.
> 
> Last year we had several people try to register at the last minute because
> they didn't realize we closed early to order equipment.  If you know anyone
> who might be considering one of these workshops could you please forward
> this reminder to them.
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Ed
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:06:54 -0400
> From:    Keith Puffer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: iPad rollback iOS
> 
> Good Morning.
> 
> Has anyone had good luck with manually rolling back iOS on an iPad using an
> .ipsw file found wild on the web and iTunes?  (Read that as iOS 9.x to 8.2)
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Keith
> 
> -- 
> Keith Puffer
> Technology Coordinator
> Washington West Supervisory Union
> 340 Mad River Park, Suite 7
> Waitsfield, VT 05673
> 802-496-5486
> Fax: 802-496-6515
> GoogleVoice: 802-870-0630
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:50:58 -0400
> From:    Steve Ligett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Apple TVs dropping randomly
> 
> Hi - Are your problems related to Mac OS version? Last I heard, much of
> this was blamed on the DiscoveryD process that replaced mDNSresponder. I
> understand Apple has gone back to mDNSresponder in 10.10.5 (?) and later.
> 
> steve
> 
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Melissa Hayden-Raley <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> 
>> Hi All -
>> Has anyone had experience with Apple TVs dropping their Air Play clients
>> randomly?  We seem to have intermittent issues with people getting
>> dropped, but able to reconnect right after.  Wi-fi is up, clients remain
>> connected to wi-fi.  Apple TVs are updated to latest iOS.  Problem has
>> been going on for 2 years.  Different rooms, different Apple TVs... can't
>> find much that is consistent.  Wondering if anyone else has seen the same.
>> 
>> Hmm.
>> 
>> Melissa Hayden-Raley
>> Technology Supervisor
>> Milton Town School District
>> 802-893-5460
>> http://helpdesk.mtsd-vt.org
>> 
>> 
>> __________________________________________________________________
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
>> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
>> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
>> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of the
>> original message.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:03:12 -0400
> From:    Keith Puffer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Apple TVs dropping randomly
> 
> Hey there.  I follow [log in to unmask] as well and recently there was
> a similar discussion.  No resolution, but one poster suggested that it
> might have something to do with the multitudes of bonjour devices looking
> for the Apple TVs.  One "possible" solution was to explore a Bonjour
> Gateway and segregate bonjour traffic via VLANs, but allowing some of the
> bonjour traffic to negotiate multiple VLANS.  I have not explored or even
> looked into this, but thought I would pass along.  I don't know if this
> would be applicable in this situation.  Let me know if anyone wants the
> link to that posting...
> 
> Keith
> 
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:50 AM, Steve Ligett <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> 
>> Hi - Are your problems related to Mac OS version? Last I heard, much of
>> this was blamed on the DiscoveryD process that replaced mDNSresponder. I
>> understand Apple has gone back to mDNSresponder in 10.10.5 (?) and later.
>> 
>> steve
>> 
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Melissa Hayden-Raley <[log in to unmask]
>>> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi All -
>>> Has anyone had experience with Apple TVs dropping their Air Play clients
>>> randomly?  We seem to have intermittent issues with people getting
>>> dropped, but able to reconnect right after.  Wi-fi is up, clients remain
>>> connected to wi-fi.  Apple TVs are updated to latest iOS.  Problem has
>>> been going on for 2 years.  Different rooms, different Apple TVs... can't
>>> find much that is consistent.  Wondering if anyone else has seen the same.
>>> 
>>> Hmm.
>>> 
>>> Melissa Hayden-Raley
>>> Technology Supervisor
>>> Milton Town School District
>>> 802-893-5460
>>> http://helpdesk.mtsd-vt.org
>>> 
>>> 
>>> __________________________________________________________________
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
>>> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
>>> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
>>> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>>> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of the
>>> original message.
>> 
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Search <http://list.uvm.edu/archives/school-it.html> the SCHOOL-IT Archive
>> 
>> Manage <http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SCHOOL-IT&A=1> your
>> Subscription to SCHOOL-IT
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Keith Puffer
> Technology Coordinator
> Washington West Supervisory Union
> 340 Mad River Park, Suite 7
> Waitsfield, VT 05673
> 802-496-5486
> Fax: 802-496-6515
> GoogleVoice: 802-870-0630
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:20:47 -0400
> From:    Marion Bates <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> ​A student just reported, and I have replicated, that the spellcheck
> function in Google Docs seems broken in a weird way; it only lets you
> check/correct ONCE. If you do a bit more editing and ask it to check again,
> it reports no misspellings. If you add more text to the *bottom* of the
> document, it'll check and correct that; but I cannot get it to recheck the
> earlier portion of the doc, even if I add more misspelled words within an
> earlier paragraph, or right-click on a word. AND, even when I copied and
> pasted the content into a new Google Doc, with all formatting stripped,
> same thing. Language settings are correct, etc.
> 
> This is true both on a Chromebook 45.0.2454.98, and in Chrome on a Mac
> 45.0.2454.101.
> 
> ​Can anyone confirm so I know I'm not insane?
> ​
> -- MB
> 
> -- 
> Marion Bates, District Technology Supervisor
> School Administrative Unit 70
> Hanover, NH | Norwich, VT
> Office: (603) 643-3431 x2714
> http://www.sau70.org/
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:33:13 -0400
> From:    Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> same here win7 Ch46xxx (up to date)
> 
> not sure if these tabs below will survive posting, but words below tabbed
> were initially marked wrong and then no second offer to correct was made.
> 
> New incorrect entries at the bottom were offered a change, bur prior
> misspelling were not.
> 
> Misspelled words (after Google Docs spell check run) were no longer
> underlined as incorrect (as they are now for me in gmail)
> 
> 
> feasbility
> 
> feasibility
> 
> feasability
> 
> feasability
> 
> feasibility
> 
> feasability
> 
> feasibility
> 
> feasibility
> 
> 
> 
> Marion is not insane ...
> 
> 
> R
> 
> 
> n.b in 1995 when I was working for a research firm in college, I spent as
> much time looking for resources listed as
> feasability study as I did feasibility study. Not bc I was misspelling it,
> but as a search strategy when there was less content and it was less well
> indexed.
> 
> 
> 
> ​Can anyone confirm so I know I'm not insane?
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:51:32 -0400
> From:    Nick Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> Chrome 45.0.2454.101 m on Windows 10 allowed me to correct words in prior
> paragraphs multiple times.
> 
> Is it happening if you skip the correction the first time around? That's
> the only way I could replicate the issue. If i hit ignore the error it
> would no longer check that error on future spell checks.
> 
> 
> Nick Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Information Technology Technician
> Champlain Valley Union HS <http://www.cvuhs.org/>
> 802-482-7121
> 
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> 
>> same here win7 Ch46xxx (up to date)
>> 
>> not sure if these tabs below will survive posting, but words below tabbed
>> were initially marked wrong and then no second offer to correct was made.
>> 
>> New incorrect entries at the bottom were offered a change, bur prior
>> misspelling were not.
>> 
>> Misspelled words (after Google Docs spell check run) were no longer
>> underlined as incorrect (as they are now for me in gmail)
>> 
>> 
>> feasbility
>> 
>> feasibility
>> 
>> feasability
>> 
>> feasability
>> 
>> feasibility
>> 
>> feasability
>> 
>> feasibility
>> 
>> feasibility
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Marion is not insane ...
>> 
>> 
>> R
>> 
>> 
>> n.b in 1995 when I was working for a research firm in college, I spent as
>> much time looking for resources listed as
>> feasability study as I did feasibility study. Not bc I was misspelling it,
>> but as a search strategy when there was less content and it was less well
>> indexed.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ​Can anyone confirm so I know I'm not insane?
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Search <http://list.uvm.edu/archives/school-it.html> the SCHOOL-IT Archive
>> 
>> Manage <http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SCHOOL-IT&A=1> your
>> Subscription to SCHOOL-IT
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:12:14 -0400
> From:    Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> Until you close and reopen the document, and then the underlines are back
> ...
> 
> Quite honestly I never use the spell check part of Google Docs, and instead
> use the spell check part of Chrome.
> 
> Feasibility
> 
>              Feasability
> 
> 
> R
> 
> 
> If i hit ignore the error it would no longer check that error on future
> spell checks.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:17:42 -0400
> From:    Adam Provost <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Google for
> 
> Good info in this community...
> 
> https://connect.googleforwork.com/welcome
> 
> "The official community for Google for Work System Administrators and
> Partners"
> 
> -- 
> Adam A. Provost, MAT
> Technology Integration - Partnership for Change Initiative
> <http://partnershipvt.org>
> Burlington High School, Vermont <http://bhs.bsdvt.org/>
> 
> Personal Blog: creativeStir.blogspot.com
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:20:10 -0400
> From:    Nick Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> Correct, the formerly ignored word was underlined again when I re-opened
> the doc, but it also allowed me to correct it with no issues. I just
> upgraded to the latest Chrome and everything seems to be functioning
> correctly within the doc still. Google Docs has been acting a bit off
> lately.
> 
> 
> Nick Clark <[log in to unmask]>
> Information Technology Technician
> Champlain Valley Union HS <http://www.cvuhs.org/>
> 802-482-7121
> 
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> 
>> Until you close and reopen the document, and then the underlines are back
>> ...
>> 
>> Quite honestly I never use the spell check part of Google Docs, and
>> instead use the spell check part of Chrome.
>> 
>> Feasibility
>> 
>>              Feasability
>> 
>> 
>> R
>> 
>> 
>> If i hit ignore the error it would no longer check that error on future
>> spell checks.
>> 
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Search <http://list.uvm.edu/archives/school-it.html> the SCHOOL-IT Archive
>> 
>> Manage <http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SCHOOL-IT&A=1> your
>> Subscription to SCHOOL-IT
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:29:34 -0400
> From:    Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> several issues were reported by google as this week as outages
> 
> http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status
> 
> the docs, etc one from last friday affected us, but fortunately it was late
> in the day and was resolved before too long.
> 
> 
> R
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:41:52 -0400
> From:    Michael Norkun <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Google Docs -- weird spelling check fail
> 
> Use the beta version of chrome instead of the stable. Beta updates every
> week to make sure any bugs are taken care of. Stable isn't updated until
> beta has worked out all the kinks. So if there is something up with stable,
> they won't fix it right away. Best bet is to use beta.
> To verify that it is a chrome thing, try a different browser. If you are
> using a chromebook, use crouton to run linux within a browser tab to test
> out other browsers.
> There are all kinds of how-to's out there.
> you could have a look here
> <http://www.howtogeek.com/208368/how-to-run-a-full-linux-desktop-in-a-browser-tab-on-your-chromebook/>
> 
> I've run into chrome acting weird on a mac. These are the three steps I've
> had good luck with when anything on a mac is running strange...
> 1) open a terminal
> 2) type this command
> sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
> 
> then for good measure I'll usually run these
> cd ~/Library/Logs
> sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/*
> 
> That clears all the logs from all apps. Stuff that takes up space and hogs
> resources.
> 3) restart
> 
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> 
>> several issues were reported by google as this week as outages
>> 
>> http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status
>> 
>> the docs, etc one from last friday affected us, but fortunately it was
>> late in the day and was resolved before too long.
>> 
>> 
>> R
>> 
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Search <http://list.uvm.edu/archives/school-it.html> the SCHOOL-IT Archive
>> 
>> Manage <http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SCHOOL-IT&A=1> your
>> Subscription to SCHOOL-IT
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of SCHOOL-IT Digest - 14 Oct 2015 to 15 Oct 2015 (#2015-277)
> ****************************************************************

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
April 2001
March 2001
February 2001
January 2001
December 2000
November 2000
October 2000
September 2000
August 2000
July 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999
October 1999
September 1999

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LIST.UVM.EDU

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager