Greetings List Lurkers,
Quite the Manic Monday... Heading down to Maryland for the Punkin'
Chunkin' this week... Everything is hurry hurry, including the Adult
I just encountered tls enabled telnet, and I am frustrated. Anybody got
any idea how to do this on a linux system?
The best part of the day is that this morning I got a reasonable way to
the latest superlight design. Lets see if it lights up...
Not a bad day today for the Adult Swim. The Temperature Sensing System working
in the basement on a real old Dell Dimension 630 said 62 degrees F this
If I had a GUI I would recommend going to this site.
As for our gathering here in Barre, I beseech you to to go to the directions
web site should you need them at:
To summarize, the meeting today is at 40 Washington Street, Barre, VT 05641
There will be pizza, with any luck!
The dreaded future projects remain ever present on our small minds:
- Maker Movement A Maker Space in Barre? Why not? Could it be that the
commercial power centers do not yet appreciate the value?
- Move BOSI to become more git centric... develop gittlywiki... working!
check out tiddlywiki5 here: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5
- Blue Sky R&D, but in Vermont it will be Gun-metal Grey Sky R&D.
Looked seriously at firefox OS for the Pi...
- Open Source Educational Human Development (nothing new here:^)
But I wish there where.
- I fought the DREK and the DREK continues to win, especially after the
mini-maker fair. Remember, What really is holds us back is
DREK!!! DREK is what happens to your workspace (both hardware and
software) when you fail to put stuff away. Now after moving everything
to the Maker Fair in Shelburne it has gotten worse.
Anyway, we have the technology and we will have the pizza tonight 5-7 at
Hedding, assuming the traffic in Rutland is under control.
This is the official notice of the Barre Open Systems Institute (BOSI) Adult
Swim. For those coming in via the Google Plus and the Internet, and there are
folks who are gonna try, the swim stars at 6:00 PM EST.
Our ongoing major objective is to continue to try to figure out how to invest
the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems Institute into more than
just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more into a real learning facility.
One direction we have been working on is to begin thinking about classes. The
curriculum that I am most interested in is teaching documentation.
Once again, the goal of the meeting shall be as usual, to get organized and try
to get the various projects moving forward, despite DREK. We continue to wonder
about how to build the BOSI curriculum to this webpage:
http://bosivt.org/classes Take a look if you dare...
Remember, the BOSI Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of
open source products in a clinic environment. Despite my very best of
intentions, the Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install-fest, and
only secondarily a learning environment,
The ever growing list of projects (now on our web site :^) includes:
- http://ledroid.org - Ok, this is a real project eh?
- http://bzinga.net - What happens when you combine Bash and Zenity?
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs - ok, it is on the list.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot - jesum they love this robot
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon - monitor that pellet furnace
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino - moving in the arduino groove
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp - Temperature Sensors Project
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules - The quest for Roberts Rules -
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash - Yea, I am not kidding...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg - remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry - all versions
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org - maybe a very cool project.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized - oh please let me be organized!
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music - this may be the least organized
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb - A big noble idea.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/grantbot - A less noble idea to feed the
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/gitlywiki - is tiddlywiki5 the answer?
As Bit Ed using an ISP in Plainfield, first reported many services block http
service on odd ports, one immediate projects needs to be to reflect all of the
current project pages to git hub. This is why we will be initiating the
Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source
Software discussion and general system rejuvenation. Expect to be remotely
preached at on the various topics of Open Source and how I am confident it
shall cure all the evils and ills of this wicked world. In a perfect meeting,
people would come in, sit down, see the stuff we have been doing and hopefully
help us get the DIY stuff we are doing done, or maybe just fix a laptop.
So, do not forget that the Barre library stocks "Linux Format", and the latest
issue is on the shelf, and it is good. The DVD's are available to checkout and
copy, we shall to continue provide copies and isos of each and every one. I am
continuing to duplicate abot a years worth of DVD's which is quite a task.
Anyway, come and do open source stuff. For more information about the BOSI
Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:
Show up at Hedding UMC if you have questions or are interested in Linux or the
concept of free and open systems. Again, we are in the basement of the Hedding
UMC facility which is actually working out pretty well.
If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note.
This is Flint signing off... We are at the Swim in Barre this afternoon...
(802) 595-9365 Cell
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Work: (202) 537-0480