]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VAGUE Home

VAGUE  November 2015

VAGUE November 2015

Linux_adult_swim Meeting today, November 30 at 5 PM at Hedding United Methodist, 40 Washington Street.

Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Nov 2015 07:45:29 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings List Lurkers,

Figured out my telnet problem from a few weeks ago.  If you need to get
medieval on some old crufty system (e.g. a telephone system), and the
instructions say use Putty in "raw" mode.  The tool of choice turns out to
be "netcat", but that was not all.  It turned out the last bug the old but
famous carriage return vs. line feed problem.  To fix this in netcat, try:

nc -C <bla bla>

Gotta love a good puzzle...  Next is sending hex via netcat.

The latest superlight design held together through the punkin-chunkin in
Maryland - the one light illuminated an entire concert...  I remain
fascinated by these little beasts.

A cold day for the Adult Swim.  The Temperature Sensing System working
in the basement on a real old Dell Dimension 630 said 17 degrees F this
morning, maybe better this afternoon...

http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp

As for our gathering here in Barre, I beseech you to to go to the directions
web site should you need them at:

http://bosivt.org/directions

To summarize, the meeting today is at 40 Washington Street, Barre, VT 05641
There will be pizza.  Today we are gonna concentrate on Raspberry Pi's
and Steve's old music system.

The dreaded future projects remain ever present on our small minds:

- Maker Movement A Maker Space in Barre?  Why not? Could it be that the
   commercial power centers do not yet appreciate the value?
- Move BOSI to become more git centric... develop gittlywiki... working!
   check out tiddlywiki5 here: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5
- Blue Sky R&D, but in Vermont it will be Gun-metal Grey Sky R&D.
   Looked seriously at firefox OS for the Pi...
- Open Source Educational Human Development (nothing new here:^)
   But I wish there where.
- I fought the DREK and the DREK continues to win, especially after the
   punkin chunkin.  Remember, What really is holds us back is
   DREK!!!  DREK is what happens to your workspace (both hardware and
   software) when you fail to put stuff away.

Anyway, we have the technology and we will have the pizza tonight 5-7 at
Hedding.

This is the official notice of the Barre Open Systems Institute (BOSI) Adult
Swim. For those coming in via the Google Plus and the Internet, and there are
folks who are gonna try, the swim stars at 6:00 PM EST.

Our ongoing major objective is to continue to try to figure out how to invest
the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems Institute into more than
just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more into a real learning facility.
One direction we have been working on is to begin thinking about classes. The
curriculum that I am most interested in is teaching documentation.

Once again, the goal of the meeting shall be as usual, to get organized and try
to get the various projects moving forward, despite DREK. We continue to wonder
about how to build the BOSI curriculum to this webpage:
http://bosivt.org/classes
Take a look if you dare...

Remember, the BOSI Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of
open source products in a clinic environment.  Despite my very best of
intentions, the Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install-fest, and
only secondarily a learning environment,

The ever growing list of projects (now on our web site :^) includes:
- http://ledroid.org - Ok, this is a real project eh?
- http://bzinga.net - What happens when you combine Bash and Zenity?
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs - ok, it is on the list.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot - jesum they love this robot
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon - monitor that pellet furnace
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino - moving in the arduino groove
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/javajive - to get better at Javascript
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp  - Temperature Sensors Project
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules - The quest for Roberts Rules -
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash - Yea, I am not kidding...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg - remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry - all versions
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org - maybe a very cool project.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized - oh please let me be organized!
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music - this may be the least organized
    site ever!
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb - A big noble idea.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/grantbot - A less noble idea to feed the
   big idea...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/gitlywiki - is tiddlywiki5 the answer?

As Bit Ed using an ISP in Plainfield, first reported many services block http
service on odd ports, one immediate projects needs to be to reflect all of the
current project pages to git hub.  This is why we will be initiating the
gittlywiki project...

Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source
Software discussion and general system rejuvenation. Expect to be remotely
preached at on the various topics of Open Source and how I am confident it
shall cure all the evils and ills of this wicked world.  In a perfect meeting,
people would come in, sit down, see the stuff we have been doing and hopefully
help us get the DIY stuff we are doing done, or maybe just fix a laptop.

So, do not forget that the Barre library stocks "Linux Format", and the latest
issue is on the shelf, and it is good.  The DVD's are available to checkout and
copy, we shall to continue provide copies and isos of each and every one. I am
continuing to duplicate abot a years worth of DVD's which is quite a task.
Anyway, come and do open source stuff. For more information about the BOSI
Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

http://bosivt.org/directions

Show up at Hedding UMC if you have questions or are interested in Linux or the
concept of free and open systems.  Again, we are in the basement of the Hedding
UMC facility which is actually working out pretty well.

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note.

This is Flint signing off... We are at the Swim in Barre this afternoon...

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360
(802) 595-9365 Cell

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT