]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2016, Week 4

MEDLIB-L January 2016, Week 4

Upcoming webinars form National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region

"Burda, Michelle Lynn" <[log in to unmask]>

Burda, Michelle Lynn

Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:19:14 +0000

Sharing, We are offering webinars & classes for a wide range of audiences.

1.       Thursday! New and Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities from MAR<http://nnlm.gov/mar/training/lunch_schedule> (Lunch with the RML) / Thursday, January 28, 2016 noon - 1:00 pm ET Join MAR Coordinators to explore and learn about professional development opportunities in 2016. Updated and new classes will be showcased with a chance for you to ask questions about the classes we offer. Presenters: Michelle Burda, Network and Advocacy Coordinator; Lydia Collins, Consumer Health Coordinator; Kate Flewelling, Outreach Coordinator; Ida Joiner, Technology Coordinator / No registration required. https://webmeeting.nih.gov/lunch2/

2.       PubMed and the Evidence-Based Universe<http://nnlm.gov/ntc/classes/class_details.html?class_id=927> / February 2, 2016 9:00 am - 1:00 pm ET (in-person, Lincoln University, PA) This course will provide an overview of evidence based research and practice. We will cover definitions of terms, hierarchies of quantitative and qualitative evidence, formulating an evidence-based question, developing effective search strategies in PubMed to identify appropriate citations, and introduce the concept of critical appraisal of the evidence. Participants will receive 4 MLA CE Registration: http://nnlm.gov/ntc/classes/class_details.html?class_id=927

3.       From A(norexia) to Z(its): Providing Health Information to Teens<http://nnlm.gov/ntc/classes/class_details.html?class_id=503> / February 3, 2016 3:00 - 4:30 pm ET (online) This class is designed for public, elementary and secondary school library staff, teachers, nurses, and counselors. The hands-on class will present an overview of health information needs of teenagers and their information seeking behaviors; review communication skills needed during reference interviews with teenagers; and explore credible health information resources that are designed for teens. Registration: http://nnlm.gov/ntc/classes/class_details.html?class_id=503

4.       Our February and March Boost Box sessions will be of special interest to libraries who use the themes set by the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) or the Illinois Reading Enrichment and Development (iREAD) program: Both summer reading themes involve a focus on health, wellness, sports and achievement. If you are interested in learning more about resources to support your summer reading 2016 program, then tune in for the February and March 2016 NN/LM MAR Boost Box sessions. No registration required. https://webmeeting.nih.gov/boost2/

Gear Up for Summer Reading 2016: Resources for Adults and Seniors<http://nnlm.gov/mar/training/boost_schedule> /February 9, 2016 / Noon -1pm ET Summer reading programs are a long standing tradition for public libraries across the nation. The 2016 summer reading theme from CSLP is "Wellness, Fitness, and Sports" and for iREAD it is "Read-For the Win!" Both summer reading themes involve a focus on health, wellness, sports and achievement. Tune in to learn about National Library of Medicine and other reliable resources that you can use to support your summer reading program for adults and seniors. Ideas on how to engage these adult populations in a love of reading and healthy lifestyles will also be included. Lastly, learn where to locate freely available health information resources that you can order and distribute at your library this summer.

Summer Reading 2016 Playground: Resources for Children and Teens<http://nnlm.gov/mar/training/boost_schedule> / March 8, 2016 / Noon - 1pm ET Are you in charge of planning and organizing the summer reading program for children and/or teens at your library? Do you want ideas on how to use National Library of Medicine and other reliable resources to enhance your library's offerings? If so, then join us for this informative webinar which will provide you with an introduction to fun and interactive health resources for children and teens on nutrition, sports, and healthy living. The 2016 summer reading theme from CSLP is "Wellness, Fitness, and Sports" and for iREAD it is "Read-for the Win!" Come and learn about freely available curriculum and online health tools that can be incorporated into your summer reading program for youth. Let NN/LM MAR help you prepare for a summer of reading, sports and wellness fun for youth in your community.

Michelle Burda
Phone: 412-624-1589
Network and Advocacy Coordinator
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region

Health Sciences Library System
University of Pittsburgh
200 Scaife Hall 3550 Terrace Street Pittsburgh, PA 15261
 Advancing the progress of medicine and improving the public health through access to health information: http://nnlm.gov/mar/