VTBIRD Archives

February 2016

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:45:47 -0500
7bit
Sender:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bruce MacPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Greater and Lesser Scaup have returned to the Colchester-South Hero Causeway in numbers. On Tuesday I ventured out on the Causeway from the Colchester side and saw mainly Common Goldeneye (and 5 Bald Eagles). In the distance, though, I could see a line of tightly packed Scaup swimming north of the cut. So yesterday I visited the Causeway again from the Allen Point end. Sure enough I found the main group of ducks in the water just west of the parking area at the access. I estimated that there were over 700 Scaup in this group with a ratio of 4:1 Greater to Lesser. However, the ducks were so tightly packed that an accurate count was impossible.

Otherwise, there were a moderate number of Common Goldeneye on both sides of the Causeway and a few Common Mergansers. I found no rarities unless you count a single Bufflehead as rare. The lake side of the Causeway is entirely open water and there is a moderate amount of open water (with ducks) on the Bay side of the cut, as well.

To add to the fun I scared off a flock of 50 or so Cedar Waxwings on my walk out to the end of the Causeway.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington