MEDLIB-L February 2016, Week 4

Nicola Pallotti <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:16:02 -0500

Here was my initial query on 2.17.16:
Per subject line, has anyone created or found a threshold for evaluating or keep journal(s) or database(s), based on cost/use?  Also, have you come across any guidelines or created your own on the number of years to view a resource in determining whether to keep or stop it?

Answers are below, in two groupings.  First grouping is quick excerpts, displayed in cost order.  Second grouping is same information, within larger explanation.  Also, some answers shared were dated, and I noted the date, when known, otherwise they are current responses.  Most answers from hospital libraries, though there were two academics, so noted.  Thanks to all for taking their time to reply and share.

to $11-$15 per download
use $14 / use as our general guideline, based on ILL costs
year 2013 (academic) :  Using the Monthly Average for one year, divide by the Price of the Title = Cost/use Cost/use < $20 gets marked Green
Cost/use > $30 gets marked Red
use a threshold of $50 per use to look at whether to cancel in house journals or not.
consider cancelling when cost/use closes in on what it would cost to buy the article from the publisher.
Different from making one of your own, and a few years out of date, is Ted Bergstrom's journal cost-effectiveness site:  http://www.journalprices.com
Other academic response difficult to excerpt, but listed below.

Specific replies.
In order to determine if we are cutting something. We take the total full text downloads and divide it by the price we are paying.  If the journal comes close to $11-$15 per download then it gets scrutinized because we can possibly get it cheaper via ILL.  However, the cost is not the sole determiner. We look at its overall history.  Believe it or not some journals can have a sort of off year with us.  For example they might be publishing more articles on topics that our researchers aren’t researching as much that year.  If a journal has a strong history but seems to have a one off year, we keep it and investigate it the next year.

We generally use $14 / use as our general guideline, based on ILL costs.  We will continue to subscribe to journals over that cost / use if there is a collection-specific reason (eg, it is the only journal in a field which is small but in which we have an active residency program, or where one of our physicians is the editor in chief).

I consider cancelling when cost/use closes in on what it would cost to buy the article from the publisher.

Different from making one of your own, and a few years out of date, is Ted Bergstrom's journal cost-effectiveness site: http://www.journalprices.com  But it at least gives you a way of comparing journals independent of use at your institution
2013 year:  I have my own personal guidelines.

From academic library:
* Vendor Provided FT-Download Stats
< once/month Monthly Average gets marked : red
> Twice/month Monthly Average gets marked : green

* Vendor Provided FT-Download Stats
< once/month Monthly Median gets marked : red
> Twice/month Monthly Median gets marked : green

* Local Click-Through counts through proxy server
< once/month Monthly Average gets marked : red
> Twice/month Monthly Average gets marked : green

* Local ILL Borrow
> 5 / yr gets marked : green

* Local ILL Lending
> 5 / yr gets marked : green

* Using the Monthly Average for one year, divide by the Price of the Title = Cost/use
Cost/use < $20 gets marked Green
Cost/use > $30 gets marked Red

CONCLUSION :
Lots of GREEN means this Title is a good deal.
Lots of White means you are breaking even.
Too many REDs means this Title is a candidate for non-renewal.

From academic library:  I have used a couple of things which I incorporated into a total picture,but I did not combine all factors into one formula.
Cost / library use: I took photocopy service data for one year * 10, (a number I got from a similar library who had actual browse data to compare) and divided it into
the price. Cost / article
I also looked up the total source items for the previous year in the ISI
..Journal Citation Reports.  There is lag time but it can be an relative
comparison, and divided it into the price of the journal.
I think I used $10 /per use or $30.00 per article as a beginning point to
consider for cancellation.
We made some mistakes with this formula, especially with quarterlies.
Overall it was a help to get started on a large cancellation project.  Part
of our problem was the inconsistent data collection by circulation
personnel.  We did not know the extent of variableness in this when we did
the project.  We should have built in an error factor.  I still gained by
using it as a guideline.
Cost / potential use
I have forgotten how I did this but I used the citations per year and the
articles per year to get a factor for ongoing use.  I did not present this
to the Library Committee, but I did look at it.  If a journal has a citation
half-life of >10, I avoid cancellation, now.  We got into too much negative
publicity the last time we cancelled one of these.
I'd be interested in any response you get. We did something very simple, just dividing the journal subscription cost by the number of uses, in our journal use spreadsheet.  It didn't take into account any of the other factors you mention.  We want to do it for interlibrary loan, but its much more complicated.  I had a library school student for a few months that worked on this, but we never got to the ILL part altho she worked on setting up a database. I am hoping with the new Quickdoc it will be more doable.
I did research and published on this exact topic in Serials Librarian I
think, about 10 years ago when I was in library school.  The primary
author <my boss who took credit because she is university faculty> is
Chrzastowski, Tina   and Blobaum, Paul "cost benefit analysis of
Bielstein's 'Handbuch Der Organishe Chemie" at two academic research
libraries"  or something like that.
What I did was divide current journal cost into local use statistics.
        _Annual__Journal Cost____
          Total of annual Reshelving + In house Copy Request    =
Cost Per Use
Anyway, I have done this analysis with my own collection, and my library
committee recommended last summer to use a threshold of $50 per use to
look at whether to cancel in house journals or not.  I cancelled about
$8,000 worth of subscriptions for 2000 by using this benchmark for
review...    but also taking into account other factors as you mention.
I also considered whether local consortia held the journals...
My total library materials budget is $41,000 for 2000,  about half of
that is just journal subscriptions I think.  Less now because of the
cancellations.  Meanwhile, I am adding some pricey ones because of our
new cancer center and oncologist request...like Blood .  Yikes.  But
might as well have things in the collection that are being USED!!
I should mention that we collect data continuously through the year...
so its pretty accurate.  When we did the Beilstein study at the U of I
in Urbana, it was for just 6 months I think.
I use the study by the Southern Chapter/MLA published in Bull Med Libr Assoc 86(3) Jul 1998 :301-306 to compare frequency of use, cost/use and percentage of titles for 80% of use.  They did a benchmarking study with average frequency of us 30.4, cost/use $6.76 and 38% of core titles met 80% of use.

Summarized by:

Nicky
Nicola F. Pallotti | Library & CME Coordinator | Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island
[log in to unmask] Phone 401-729-2212
111 Brewster Street | Pawtucket, RI  02860