Re: Library Use Policies

Janet Bolduc <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:19:29 -0500

I tend to be very tolerant of noise (which may be how this all got out of hand to begin with) but we decided we better do something when other patrons began to complain to us about the behavior.  It seems that having a quiet space here is valued by users, not just library staff.  Also, we are located right across from a clinical wing with patients which makes it even more important to keep the noise level down.  Speaking to the individual perpetrators didn't completely resolve the problems so I thought a more formal policy might help.  Thank you to those who have sent helpful examples of policies and signage!

Janet S. Bolduc, MSLS
Library Director
Gerrish-True Health Sciences Library
Central Maine Medical Center
207-795-2564

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Alberici
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 10:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Library Use Policies

I've a pony tail, so guess where I was sacked from?! To turn it on its head, sometimes after I've asked people to show a bit more consideration for their fellow users, I ask others (informally, as they exit) if they actually had been disturbed prior to my intervention. The answer more often than not is 'I hadn't really noticed'. Perhaps it's only we library staff who are bothered by low-ish level noise these days? Or maybe I'm just a tyrant? I feel a survey coming on....