]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  February 2016, Week 4

MEDLIB-L February 2016, Week 4

Further on the subject of sorting Medline citations looking for local authors

"King, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>

King, Fred

Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:34:39 -0500

Esteemed colleagues,

To follow up on a discussion from last week, (or was it the week before? Time passed much more slowly back when I was young and handsome, and there were fields all about and you could leave your front door unlocked, though everything would get stolen just as it does today) here's how I cull/sort names to assemble our list of potential authors, complete with examples of files I'm working on. It's really not as complicated as it seems as first. Really. Why doesn't anybody believe me?

Collecting the names to search is one of the harder parts of this process. Methodology: any way you can. I've created an autoalert of names in the format "lastname firstinitial[truncated]" which I update less frequently than I ought. I can do supplemental lists during the year. I also have a copy of this list of names in s:\authors\names.txt, and a printed copy of the entire name to refer to. The current list has about 500 names on it.

Weekly autoalerts come from Ovid. One looks for MedStar and other words or phrases that would indicate it's one of the institutions we track. The second looks for possible names. Today's batch had 11 MedStar citations and 485 name citations. Since today for the purposes of this message is the 25th of February, 2016, I named the MedStar set 20160225_medstar.txt, and the name set 20160225_names.txt and saved them in s:\authors\20160225. I also saved the name set as s:\authors\data.txt.

[See http://www.philobiblios.net/20160225_medstar.txt and
   http://www.philobiblios.net/20160225_names.txt. This copy has just the first 100 citations--no point in posting the entire 2MB file.]

Next, take out all the possible name hits and put them in a separate file. The batch file "findem.bat" looks at each line in the file s:\authors\data.txt. If it matches a name in s:\authors\names.txt, it puts the line (i.e., the name) in the file you specify. The command in findem.bat is
   for /F %%i in (names.txt) do find "%%i" data.txt
Go to the command prompt, change to s:\authors and type
   findem > [destination folder and file]
so for this batch I'd type
   findem > .\20160225\20160225.txt

This file can be used as is, but it's easier to read with a little editing. I use Notepad's search and replace.

[See http://www.philobiblios.net/20160225_unedited.txt for the original, and
   http://www.philobiblios.net/20160225_edited.txt for the cleaned-up version. I'm going to refer to my copy as 20160225.txt. As you can see, I've made a couple of mistakes in the names.txt file. Howard is listed twice, and "van," which is listed twice, should actually be "van echo" and "van nostrand." The batch file doesn't handle double-names well. I'll revise that one of these days.]

Now go through 20160225.txt and compare it to your list of names. This is a lot easier now that Medline is including institutional affiliations for all the authors. Institutions are indicated either by "IN  - " or by six blank spaces. If you have a possible author match, it's usually easy to elminiate the ones that aren't in your institution. It's the names without affiliations that we're looking for.

Here's an example of a name that I'm going to pretend is in 20160225.txt:

"Rubin"

----------
FA  - Rubin, William
FA  - Rubin, W
FA  - Rubin, Beulah
IN  - Rubin, Beulah. Institute for Putting Things on top of Other Things, Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
FA  - Rubin, Billy
IN  - Rubin, Billy. Department of Hematology, Postgraduate Institute of Appendix Transplantation, Silver Spring, Maryland.
        Rubin, Willis. Department of Medical Semiotics, University of his Basement, Cedar Key, Florida.

Unfortunately, the batch file can only look for the last name, so any Rubin gets put into the file. I have two people named Rubin on my list of potential local authors (Have I mentioned I made this part up?)--William Rubin, who also publishes as Billy Rubin, and Octavia Rubin. There's no Octavia Rubin on the list, Willis and Beulah Rubin don't work here, and this Billy Rubin works at a different institution. This leaves William Rubin to investigate. I have the file data.txt open in my browser (Remember data.txt? No, this isn't a song about data.txt. It's the same file as the current batch of names citations, in this case s:\authors\20160225\20160225_names.txt. I've bookmarked it in Firefox as file:///S:/authors/data.txt) so I hit CTRL-F and search for "rubin, william". Is it a likely match? If so, I copy the citation into a new file, 20160225_possible_hits.txt. If not, on to the next name.

Sometimes, as above, the full authors' names are just lastname, firstinitial. If it's probable that the article is from our William Rubin, I'll put it in the possible hits file. The threshhold of probability required varies in proportion to my level of fatigue.

The 20160225_medstar.txt file is easier to cull: just take out the ones that don't fit (there's a Medstar in Australia that I don't think is one of ours) and double-check the rest along with the ones in the possible hits file.

How long does this take? Less time than it used to. Now that I can discard a lot of names based on affiliation, I can go through a list of 400-600 citations in an hour or so. If I were running 500 names for the year 2010, it would take a lot longer. Actually, I'd probably break the names into batches of 50-100 or even fewer, depending on how many citations I got. People with greater capacity to memorize names than I have (i.e., just about everybody) won't have to keep referring to the printed list of names, which will speed up the process even more.

Next I put the names into Reference Manager for our annual bibliography, and into MARC format for our online catalog of local authors, but that's a story for another day.

Questions? Comments? You have my e-mail address.

Fred King
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279

Gosh, Mr Science, I don't understand that even worse than before you explained it!
--Bob and Ray, in memory of Bob Eliot, 26 March 1923 -- 2 February 2016

MedStar Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare delivery system, the largest in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. Nationally recognized for clinical quality in heart, orthopaedics, cancer and GI. IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected. Thank you. Help conserve valuable resources - only print this email if necessary.