]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  February 2016, Week 4

MEDLIB-L February 2016, Week 4

Re: CHAT: Venting about Nursing Research Classes

"Vugrin, Margaret" <[log in to unmask]>

Vugrin, Margaret

Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:01:39 +0000

Iıve seen this from two sides: 1) my daughter just started her 2nd degree
nursing program (at a school where she lives not here) and the
instructions for the debate (she got con) was to look at articles on stem
cell research same last 5 year rule, peer-reviewed nursing journal, and it
had to be written by a nurse. Now most of the literature on this topic is
PRO stem cell research, very little is in the nursing literature currently
and they didnıt explain to them what peer-review is, I donıt know why
nursing is not doing evidence based they are still stuck with peer-review.
Also the HSC articles that she was finally able to locate after a training
session from mom before which she had almost pulled out her hair, were
written by MDs and that didnıt count. So she got ten points off. thatıs a
whole letter grade!!!
2) a number of years ago like 6 or 7 years, we assisted a nursing faculty
member to create a nursing research project. We structured it as best as
we could around her parametersŠby the 2nd and 3rd year we were getting
calls left and right from nursing students who didnıt understand how to do
the assignment. Librarians notice that databases are dynamic and change is
part of the electronic world. We have for the last 5 years been helping
out the students with this exercise, we offered to redo it to make it
current which we didŠthen we started getting calls again on this
project.the NEW version had not been posted for the students so there we
went again. When we mentioned this, the instructor said she would post the
correct version next yearŠwhen it again would be out of
date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were told what a great job we do with the students. I guess itıs good
to know that itıs not just here.

Margaret Vugrin, MSLS, AHIP
Reference Librarian
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Library
3601 4th, MS7781
Lubbock, TX 79430

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
P 806-743-2241
F 806-743-2218

If you need reference assistance please send an email to

"Privacy/Confidentiality Notice: This message, including any attachments,
confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message."

On 2/25/2016, 12:30 PM, "Medical Libraries Discussion List on behalf of
Kathryn Houk" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]>