SKIVT-L March 2016, Week 1

Re: Crested Butte

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Mar 2016 01:03:49 +0000

> On Mar 6, 2016, at 11:22 AM, Iski Stowe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 18:57:35 -0500, Iski Stowe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> First time here. I was blown away by the amount of steeps and how steep
>> they are.  I need to come back.
>>

> I have skied a lot of places.  IMO CB has more steeper trails than anywhere I have been.
> I was at Jackson Hole a month ago,  I think Crested Butte have far more steeper stuff.
> There were some little shots that have to be some of the steepest stuff I have ever skied.
> I am surprised there is not more talk about this place.
>
> - ‘

From March, 1997….

Day 3: Crested Butte

After a hearty cowboy breakfast at the local diner, we were on the road at
7:00 AM en route to Crested Butte. This is cowboy country, all right -- had
to avoid a Texas Longhorn Steer heading east on US 50 while we was headin'
west. Witnessed a bald eagle at close range as it chased a crow along the
road through Gunnison Valley.

Employed the 4 wheel drive of Jonathan's Trooper to plow through falling
snow in Monarch Pass, only to be met with more sunshine in Crested Butte.
Mountain report was calling it 4" of new, but again, this was using those
big western rulers Matt described. It felt more like 8 in most places that
weren't yet tracked out.

Crested Butte, for those who don't know, claims a vertical rise of some
2,775', and rates it's terrain as:

        Beginner.......145 acres
        Intermediate...340 acres
        Advanced.......125 acres
        Extreme........550 acres - OH YES!!

Groomed terrain (612 acres/245 hectares): 24% beginner, 57% intermediate,
19% advanced. Longest run: 2.6 miles (4.2 km).

       ELEVATION:
              Peak...........12,162'
              Base Area.......9,375'
              Lift, Top......11,875'
              Lift, Bottom....9,100'

Sick lines abound, mostly over on the "North Face." Crested Butte has been
the site of the U.S. Extreme skiing championships the last several years --
and for good reason. The steeps here were as steep, gnarly, and seemingly
inexhaustible as either Jonathan or I could remember.

Yet more Texans than you can shake a stick at. Despite all the killer
terrain, there was quite the touron crowd, too, although they usually
stayed pretty segregated.

After dealing with the ugly necessities of parking and ticketing, we
climbed aboard the Silver Queen high speed quad bound for someplace near
the summit. As usual, I requested something of a cruiser to get my blood
flowing...

....and then suddenly found myself following Jonathan down something -- the
"West Wall," we came to learn -- steep and treed and, while short with
respect to the size of the mountain, still much longer and scarier than I
was prepared to deal with.

Although I skied it without any real problems, I was still a bit rattled.
Mentally, I just wasn't ready yet to test my limits. The rest of the run
was pretty mellow, but after the next ride up, I had to just say "NO!" to
Jonathan as he pointed to the "Headwall" above us.

So we skied around and explored. Tried a bump run or two. Skied most
everything that was rated as a single black diamond. And finally,
Jonathan's long face must have got to me, because I found myself on the
poma heading for the North face.

The plan was to swing all the way around to the furthest most bowl -- Third
Bowl -- in the hopes that it would be the most benign. We followed some
signs and ropes, did a bit of hiking and climbing, and wound up somewhere
else. Had to ski a short shot down through some more untracked (but not
real deep) day or two old powder back to the poma.

We tried again, and this time made the right left turn. Hiked and climbed
some more. Saw a sign giving us a high or low traverse option to Third
bowl. Chose low, and chose  wrong -- the traverse was just too scary for
me, so I bailed and jumped into Spellbound Bowl.

Right -- some bail. Steep, bumpy, rock bands. Cool. Hit some flats, and
thought it was all over.

Nope -- still more. Phoenix Bowl is was just below. Even steeper, with a
couple of trees thrown in. Yikes. Apparently these are some of the bowls
they use to weed out the first round of competitors in the Extremes.

But the snow was good, my edges held, and in the end it wasn't all that
bad, I guess. Although I wasn't quite ready to admit it, it did a lot for
my confidence to make it on down in one piece.

Skied right through lunch, Took one run down the lower sections of
something called Peel (to go with Banana) over on the east side, which was
real lonely and remote, and then spent rest of day finding tree shots.
Nice, tight and narrow spaces with lots of hazards. I felt SO much more
comfortable surrounded by wood rather than rock!

Jonathan and I then hit the hotel and hot tub, and wandered like zombies
across the street for some fondue and beer. We were a couple of pooped
puppies. Went to sleep dreaming of and praying for powder.

Day 4: Crested Butte

Dreams and prayers unanswered: morning report claimed only 2"-3" over
night. Easy day to rest 'injured' shoulder and sore knees. Mostly we did
bump and tree runs, looking for signs of snow. One short steep shot down
something called "Horseshoe" which again I thought was almost too steep for
my current needs. Run of the day was from further up on Peel -- still some
freshies to be had, since nobody goes up there except the locals. Also
found some fresh tracks along side the poma. Still, we were bumming a
little 'cause we knew we were only finding the obvious stuff. What we
needed was a guide.

No problem. I called my friend Erica, whom I hadn't seen in a couple of
years, but I was pretty sure was still living in Crested Butte. Sure
enough, she was, and she had most of Thursday off. We met her for a quick
reeb Wednesday night, and made plans to meet at the lifts 9:00 AM.

Day 5: Crested Butte

Met up with Erica. Years ago, I tried to teach her how to ski Alpine, back
when she was a young bike racer. She caught on quick, but then lessons came
to an abrupt halt after she watched me blow out my ACL at Jay.

Mine was the first ACL torn knee she ever pulled on and watched wiggle
about. Now she's a Crested Butte Physical Therapist, with no lack of knees
and shoulders and whatever else to pull on, twist, stretch, and generally
torture. Meanwhile, she has also cobbled together a telemark setup out of
used parts and learned how to use them.

She took us up to the North Face for some warmup on one of her favorite not
*quite* on the map runs. Yowza -- this was the steepest line yet. Jonathan,
who had been skiing circles around me thus far, took his first fall and
finally looked a little concerned about the terrain.

After that, we mixed it up a little, with some steeps followed by trees
followed by a short cruise or some mellow outback adventure. I was still
trying to find that happy medium between exciting-scarey and
too-stressful-scarey. Erica's boundless energy -- and local knowledge --
was just the catalyst I needed to overcome my mental block. I finally
started to ski hard and enjoy the scary stuff, figuring Erica wouldn't let
me do anything too stoopid. I did opt out of one sick shot ("Rambo") that
she and Jonathan attempted, but other than that, I was finding myself
pretty game for anything.

On one ride up, Erica started to tell me about one of her knee patients, a
woman by the name of Jill who was apparently of some renown. A run or two
later, we ran into Jill and her friend Nancy in the mid-mountain lodge
while we were refilling our water jugs. Erica wanted to watch Jill ski a
run or two to evaluate Jill's recently injured knee. They were headed up to
the Headwall at the summit. Jonathan was excited, and the overall energy
level caught me up in the wake.

Just to get there, though, from where we were, required a ride up and down
over to the other side. The down was a blistering run down two of the short
shots that rattled me earlier in the week: West Wall, over to and down
Horseshoe, and then a screamer down the blues to the Silver Queen.

It was about this time that it began to dawn upon Jonathan and I just who
this "Jill" was. Jill Sickles-Matlock is a professional skier, race coach
and ski instructor who calls Crested Butte, CO home. This 33 year-old began
skiing at the age of two and has competed in the Junior Olympics, US
Nationals, the NCAA Championships for the University of New Hampshire and
represented the US in the World University Games in Bulgaria. She placed
second in the '94 South American Extremes, 1st in the '95 New Zealand
Extremes, 1st in the '94 and '96 US Extremes and 5th in 1995 World Extremes
in Valdez.

Needless to say, she was hot. Not that her friend Nancy nor my friend Erica
were slouches, either.

We continued up the Silver Queen, up the summit T-bar, and down the
headwall. "You might want to stay a bit to the left," said Nancy, "It gets
a little complicated here." I was happy to obey, and followed Erica a
little bit to the left, while Jonathan ran down the middle, and Nancy and
Jill handled the right. Then, with barely a chance to breathe, it was back
to Horseshoe and then scorch on down to the base.

Back up Silver Queen to T-bar, get off halfway and head right to Upper
Peel, a long, long and somewhat remote alpine chute just barely on the map.
At least here, it was just steep and not sicko steep, and I was able to tag
along for a ways without getting my butt burned too badly. Into a narrow
tree slot called "Keyhole" to avoid the equally long run out, over to "Hot
Rocks," and then race for the bottom again.

I'm feeling thoroughly whipped, but the ghrills aren't even breathing hard.
We head back up the Queen one last time, and bid Erica farewell -- she has
to be at work by 3:30. While she races on down the groomed, Jonathan turns
to Jill and say, "Wow! It's been really fun chasing you around the hill!"

"Wanna do one more?" she asks.

"Sure!" we reply -- and we're off again. This time a traverse out to some
off the map trees called Flat Iron (?), and into the Banana Funnel, another
endless, steep gully.

After the last mandatory race to the bottom, it's 3:00 and time to call it
quits. Another lunchless marathon. I never skied so hard in my life. We
were rewarded with a "You guys ski pretty well." These women sure know how
to handle a man's fragile ego: to borrow a line from an article in this
months SKIING (featuring, incidently, Jill Sickles-Matlock. Also see March
SKI and FREEZE magazines), we were like Wayne and Garth meeting Alice
Cooper: "We are not worthy!"

What a day! Who needs OOT AHH powder! We were both still so stoked that
even after a five hour drive back to Denver, we had trouble getting to
sleep that night.

Wesley Wannabe Wright