VTBIRD Archives

May 2016

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Barbara Brosnan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2016 20:17:25 -0400
Hello Roy,
I have seen them weigh down grass stems to eat the seeds. I have noticed that Goldfinches perch on branches, twigs, stems on an angle rather than horizontal, and they use the higher foot as a hand to secure seeds as they eat. They even do this with seeds from the feeder, having taken them to a slanting perch and holding the seed to the branch with one foot as they eat.

Re Goldfinches and dandelions, soon after purchasing our house in Weybridge we drove by on a spring afternoon and saw the newly green yard filled with dandelions. Then suddenly half of the dandelions took off into the air - Goldfinches! We still talk about that vision.

Barbara B.