]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  May 2016

VTBIRD May 2016

Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl- West Rutland Marsh

Marv Elliott <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 May 2016 18:43:07 -0400

What a great reward for some effort. I built the box as a Northern Flicker box about 10 years ago. When I had no need at home I put it up near the marsh kiosk and boardwalk hoping something might use it but knowing it looked good there.
The box has floor dimensions of 7X9 inches, and entrance hole 2.5 inches and the hole is about 12 inches up from the floor. The habitat is a birch tree with an apple near the base and lots of brush. It is actually an old cellar hole filled with brush and surrounded by fencing to provide safety for us visitors. The box faces East but mostly so everyone would get the chance to observe anything that might use it. It is facing a dirt road and across the road are the remnants of various structures abandoned long ago. There are numerous aspen trees growing there and nearby trees are mostly young deciduous with few conifers for several hundred yards.The box is about 20 ft. up in a white birch which grew up in the middle of the cellar hole. Its that height because that was as high as my ladder would extend. I can recall clearly that it looked very high from up on that ladder looking down at the tangle below me and balancing that box and my power screw driver.
This particular sighting is so easy to locate we are now concerned that visitors (well meaning and otherwise) will disturb the family. We want everyone to see it that asks and in return hope you will respect the owls and further call a game warden if you see someone else that is harassing wildlife. Our recent excellent experience with the painted bunting tells us there are more of us who want to protect birds than those who do not. Please help us do that here.
Marv Elliott