Re: E Bird Number Crunching

Jim Guion <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 May 2016 13:47:17 -0400

Hi Larry,

Another compulsive birder/lister here.  I know how to get some of these for MA, where I live, so here are VT equivalents:

•	Which locations in Vermont have generated the largest number of
individual species reports?  Are there places where over 150 species
have been sighted?  100?  75?
-This page, looking on the right hand side and scrolling down, is a composite of top counties, top hotspots, top ebirders and has links to see not just the top 10, but all of each (this one is for current year):
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT?yr=cur&changeDate=Set
-This one is for all years:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT?yr=all&changeDate=Set

-Each of those things individually:
•	Which Vermont birders are the most active E Bird contributors?
-top 100 eBirders for 2016:
http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionType=subnational1&locInfo.regionCode=US-VT&year=2016
-top 100 eBirders for all years:
http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionType=subnational1&locInfo.regionCode=US-VT&year=AAAA

•	What are the top ten locations in Vermont for generating E Bird
reports?  I might guess the West Rutland Swamp, Mount Philo, Shelburne
Bay, Mount Mansfield, Pearl Street in Brandon, etc., but I really don’t
know.  The list could be titled “Vermont’s Ten Most Birded Spots”.
-all counties for 2016:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT/regions?yr=cur&changeDate=Set
-all counties for all years:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT/regions?yr=all&changeDate=Set

•	Which locations in Vermont have generated the largest number of
individual species reports?  Are there places where over 150 species
have been sighted?  100?  75?
-top 100 Hotspots for current year:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT/hotspots?yr=cur&changeDate=Set
-top 100 Hotspots for all years:
http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational1/US-VT/hotspots?yr=all&changeDate=Set

•	At the other end of the spectrum, what are the most commonly reported
species either by number of E Bird reports containing them, or by total
count of individuals?  Chickadee, House Sparrow, Crow, Starling, Blue
Jay?  The list might be called “The Trash Birds of Vermont”.

-I downloaded the dataset for the species frequency bar chart for Vermont for 2015,
loaded it into an Excel spreadsheet and this is what I got.  Bear in mind that this is
how many times a species was reported out of all the checklists for 2015, not how
many birds.  It also does not account for when everyone goes to see a single 1 day rarity, etc.
It would also be interesting to look at it in each season as well as across all years.
Getting total species count requires requesting and downloading a much larger data set
and more time to crunch it.

Vermont, 2015:

  Frequency of observations in the selected location(s).:

  Sample Size:
  26648

  Black-capped Chickadee
  51.0487%

  Blue Jay
  43.2470%

  American Crow
  42.5566%

  American Goldfinch
  33.3334%

  American Robin
  32.1288%

  White-breasted Nuthatch
  28.1899%

  Song Sparrow
  27.9828%

  Mourning Dove
  24.7971%

  Downy Woodpecker
  24.4849%

  Northern Cardinal
  24.3823%

  Red-winged Blackbird
  21.9032%

  Mallard
  20.1936%

  Canada Goose
  18.3733%

  Tufted Titmouse
  18.3288%

  Hairy Woodpecker
  17.9217%

  Dark-eyed Junco
  17.7763%

  Common Yellowthroat
  16.1976%

  European Starling
  15.5507%

  Red-eyed Vireo
  15.3872%

  Gray Catbird
  15.3224%

  Eastern Phoebe
  14.5492%

  Cedar Waxwing
  14.4757%

  Ring-billed Gull
  13.4553%

  Common Raven
  12.8698%

  Common Grackle
  12.1093%

  Red-breasted Nuthatch
  11.5637%

  White-throated Sparrow
  11.4914%

  Great Blue Heron
  10.5668%

  Northern Flicker
  10.0199%

  Tree Swallow
  9.6524%

  Rock Pigeon
  9.4232%

  House Sparrow
  8.8792%

  Turkey Vulture
  8.5741%

  Ovenbird
  8.4564%

  Belted Kingfisher
  8.4344%

  Chipping Sparrow
  8.4114%

  American Tree Sparrow
  8.3676%

  Yellow-rumped Warbler
  8.3564%

  Wood Duck
  8.0964%

  Common Merganser
  7.9303%

  Red-tailed Hawk
  7.8748%

  Ruby-throated Hummingbird
  7.7170%

  Eastern Kingbird
  7.6442%

  Pileated Woodpecker
  7.4244%

  Yellow Warbler
  7.1431%

  Chestnut-sided Warbler
  7.1092%

  American Redstart
  6.9788%

  Swamp Sparrow
  6.7797%

  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
  6.4813%

  Red-bellied Woodpecker
  6.4213%

  American Black Duck
  6.2853%

  Purple Finch
  6.2530%

  Hooded Merganser
  6.2112%

  Barn Swallow
  6.1353%

  House Finch
  6.1268%

  Veery
  5.9322%

  Common Loon
  5.8005%

  Black-throated Green Warbler
  5.7241%

  Eastern Wood-Pewee
  5.6933%

  Warbling Vireo
  5.3950%

  House Wren
  5.3816%

  Bald Eagle
  5.3537%

  Hermit Thrush
  5.0160%

  Baltimore Oriole
  5.0092%

  Osprey
  4.9868%

  Rose-breasted Grosbeak
  4.8553%

  Double-crested Cormorant
  4.7886%

  Black-and-white Warbler
  4.6665%

  Common Goldeneye
  4.6089%

  Indigo Bunting
  4.3498%

  Killdeer
  4.3413%

  Black-throated Blue Warbler
  4.2536%

  Herring Gull
  4.1006%

  Common Redpoll
  4.0901%

  Savannah Sparrow
  4.0584%

  Pine Siskin
  4.0466%

  Brown-headed Cowbird
  4.0460%

  Blue-headed Vireo
  4.0122%

  Wood Thrush
  3.9523%

  Great Crested Flycatcher
  3.8816%

  Scarlet Tanager
  3.8491%

  Brown Creeper
  3.5832%

  Least Flycatcher
  3.5828%

  Eastern Bluebird
  3.5716%

  Wild Turkey
  3.5448%

  Ruby-crowned Kinglet
  3.4696%

  Magnolia Warbler
  3.3986%

  Blackburnian Warbler
  3.3489%

  Great Black-backed Gull
  3.1415%

  Alder Flycatcher
  3.0405%

  American Kestrel
  2.9714%

  Northern Harrier
  2.8413%

  Bobolink
  2.7985%

  Golden-crowned Kinglet
  2.7190%

  Winter Wren
  2.6764%

  Northern Parula
  2.5885%

  Green-winged Teal
  2.5448%

  Broad-winged Hawk
  2.4604%

  Nashville Warbler
  2.4413%

  Ring-necked Duck
  2.3968%

  Spotted Sandpiper
  2.3507%

  Bufflehead
  2.3367%

  Carolina Wren
  2.2054%

  Ruffed Grouse
  2.1767%

  Barred Owl
  2.1233%

  Pine Warbler
  2.1201%

  Green Heron
  2.0179%

  Chimney Swift
  1.9143%

  Wilson's Snipe
  1.8944%

  Eastern Towhee
  1.8374%

  Willow Flycatcher
  1.7606%

  Sharp-shinned Hawk
  1.6322%

  Cooper's Hawk
  1.6111%

  Merlin
  1.5887%

  Northern Waterthrush
  1.5865%

  Marsh Wren
  1.4708%

  White-crowned Sparrow
  1.4507%

  Horned Grebe
  1.3317%

  Least Sandpiper
  1.3246%

  Canada Warbler
  1.3036%

  Greater Yellowlegs
  1.3015%

  Field Sparrow
  1.2992%

  Blackpoll Warbler
  1.2732%

  Great Egret
  1.2398%

  Solitary Sandpiper
  1.1997%

  Brown Thrasher
  1.1868%

  Snow Goose
  1.1766%

  Palm Warbler
  1.1696%

  Peregrine Falcon
  1.1658%

  Rough-legged Hawk
  1.1064%

  Northern Pintail
  1.0631%

  Bonaparte's Gull
  1.0488%

  Snow Bunting
  1.0429%

  Caspian Tern
  1.0236%

  Horned Lark
  1.0154%

  American Woodcock
  1.0040%

  Swainson's Thrush
  0.9684%

  Pied-billed Grebe
  0.9621%

  Greater Scaup
  0.9617%

  Lesser Yellowlegs
  0.9314%

  American Bittern
  0.9219%

  Yellow-throated Vireo
  0.9117%

  Bohemian Waxwing
  0.8900%

  Virginia Rail
  0.8503%

  Northern Rough-winged Swallow
  0.8457%

  Lincoln's Sparrow
  0.8179%

  Tennessee Warbler
  0.8121%

  Eastern Meadowlark
  0.8056%

  Northern Mockingbird
  0.7987%

  Evening Grosbeak
  0.7957%

  Bank Swallow
  0.7936%

  Lesser Scaup
  0.7869%

  Mourning Warbler
  0.7662%

  Empidonax sp.
  0.7592%

  Semipalmated Plover
  0.7491%

  Rusty Blackbird
  0.7277%

  White-winged Scoter
  0.6851%

  Cliff Swallow
  0.6743%

  Red-necked Grebe
  0.6564%

  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
  0.6502%

  Red-shouldered Hawk
  0.6436%

  gull sp.
  0.5831%

  Fox Sparrow
  0.5740%

  Snowy Owl
  0.5632%

  Blue-winged Teal
  0.5465%

  Great Horned Owl
  0.5410%

  Greater/Lesser Scaup
  0.5327%

  Red-breasted Merganser
  0.5294%

  Gray Jay
  0.5287%

  American Wigeon
  0.5268%

  Eastern Whip-poor-will
  0.5231%

  Red Crossbill
  0.5207%

  Common Tern
  0.5142%

  Red-throated Loon
  0.4983%

  Wilson's Warbler
  0.4931%

  Black-backed Woodpecker
  0.4928%

  Pectoral Sandpiper
  0.4338%

  Black-billed Cuckoo
  0.4299%

  Semipalmated Sandpiper
  0.4262%

  Black-crowned Night-Heron
  0.4214%

  Common Nighthawk
  0.4159%

  Louisiana Waterthrush
  0.3970%

  American Pipit
  0.3692%

  Purple Martin
  0.3651%

  sparrow sp.
  0.3580%

  Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
  0.3574%

  Gadwall
  0.3529%

  Barrow's Goldeneye
  0.3479%

  Bay-breasted Warbler
  0.3436%

  Black Scoter
  0.3425%

  Olive-sided Flycatcher
  0.3341%

  White-winged Crossbill
  0.3243%

  Cape May Warbler
  0.3240%

  duck sp.
  0.3231%

  Northern Shrike
  0.3230%

  Philadelphia Vireo
  0.3215%

  Boreal Chickadee
  0.3169%

  Ruddy Duck
  0.3127%

  Dunlin
  0.3044%

  Eastern Screech-Owl
  0.2981%

  Northern Shoveler
  0.2969%

  Long-tailed Duck
  0.2962%

  Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's
  Flycatcher)
  0.2893%

  Black Tern
  0.2887%

  Northern Goshawk
  0.2833%

  Blue-winged Warbler
  0.2783%

  Bicknell's Thrush
  0.2669%

  Common Gallinule
  0.2648%

  Harlequin Duck
  0.2535%

  Larus sp.
  0.2476%

  Orchard Oriole
  0.2406%

  warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)
  0.2406%

  Vesper Sparrow
  0.2267%

  Northern Saw-whet Owl
  0.2210%

  Golden-winged Warbler
  0.2165%

  Hudsonian Godwit
  0.2028%

  Prairie Warbler
  0.1980%

  Grasshopper Sparrow
  0.1958%

  Accipiter sp.
  0.1845%

  Least Bittern
  0.1836%

  Black-bellied Plover
  0.1785%

  Spruce Grouse
  0.1778%

  Western Meadowlark
  0.1756%

  Sora
  0.1749%

  Surf Scoter
  0.1746%

  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
  0.1733%

  Fish Crow
  0.1697%

  White-rumped Sandpiper
  0.1562%

  Short-billed Dowitcher
  0.1528%

  Redhead
  0.1490%

  Ross's Goose
  0.1469%

  American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)
  0.1437%

  American Coot
  0.1424%

  Sandhill Crane
  0.1359%

  Mute Swan
  0.1299%

  swallow sp.
  0.1221%

  Hoary Redpoll
  0.1201%

  Short-eared Owl
  0.1182%

  Lapland Longspur
  0.1165%

  Golden-winged/Blue-winged Warbler
  0.1117%

  Golden Eagle
  0.1087%

  Sanderling
  0.1040%

  Baird's Sandpiper
  0.0991%

  Buteo sp.
  0.0949%

  Harris's Sparrow
  0.0901%

  Iceland Gull
  0.0859%

  Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher
  0.0841%

  Canvasback
  0.0833%

  Snowy Egret
  0.0827%

  Black Vulture
  0.0821%

  Little Gull
  0.0755%

  Cackling Goose
  0.0734%

  passerine sp.
  0.0676%

  Stilt Sandpiper
  0.0670%

  Cerulean Warbler
  0.0654%

  peep sp.
  0.0651%

  Pine Grosbeak
  0.0647%

  Brewster's Warbler (hybrid)
  0.0646%

  Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
  0.0620%

  blackbird sp.
  0.0576%

  Cattle Egret
  0.0575%

  American Golden-Plover
  0.0566%

  Golden-winged x Blue-winged Warbler
  (hybrid)
  0.0526%

  Tundra Swan
  0.0518%

  Surf/Black Scoter
  0.0495%

  Brant
  0.0486%

  woodpecker sp.
  0.0454%

  dabbling duck sp.
  0.0447%

  Red Phalarope
  0.0425%

  Greater/Lesser Yellowlegs
  0.0425%

  Hooded Warbler
  0.0421%

  Dickcissel
  0.0387%

  Eurasian Wigeon
  0.0370%

  Orange-crowned Warbler
  0.0351%

  Lesser Black-backed Gull
  0.0325%

  Clay-colored Sparrow
  0.0319%

  Tufted Duck
  0.0318%

  Nelson's Sparrow
  0.0315%

  loon sp.
  0.0312%

  Glossy Ibis
  0.0292%

  Ring-necked Pheasant
  0.0288%

  Townsend's Solitaire
  0.0256%

  crow sp.
  0.0253%

  Red-shouldered x Red-tailed Hawk (hybrid)
  0.0246%

  grouse sp.
  0.0223%

  teal sp.
  0.0203%

  vireo sp.
  0.0180%

  Long-eared Owl
  0.0179%

  American Black Duck/Mallard
  0.0171%

  Connecticut Warbler
  0.0170%

  Catharus sp.
  0.0169%

  diurnal raptor sp.
  0.0159%

  Upland Sandpiper
  0.0157%

  Greater White-fronted Goose
  0.0156%

  Pink-footed Goose
  0.0155%

  jaeger sp.
  0.0150%

  Ruddy Turnstone
  0.0137%

  Lark Sparrow
  0.0135%

  Bohemian/Cedar Waxwing
  0.0135%

  Lawrence's Warbler (hybrid)
  0.0134%

  Common/Red-breasted Merganser
  0.0134%

  Glaucous Gull
  0.0128%

  Black-legged Kittiwake
  0.0127%

  scoter sp.
  0.0111%

  Downy/Hairy Woodpecker
  0.0104%

  owl sp.
  0.0100%

  Red Knot
  0.0094%

  Pacific Loon
  0.0092%

  grebe sp.
  0.0090%

  Red-necked/Red Phalarope
  0.0085%

  Mallard (Domestic type)
  0.0084%

  shorebird sp.
  0.0080%

  thrush sp.
  0.0079%

  hummingbird sp.
  0.0077%

  large shorebird sp.
  0.0074%

  Red-necked Phalarope
  0.0074%

  phalarope sp.
  0.0074%

  Calidris sp.
  0.0068%

  Wilson's Phalarope
  0.0066%

  Whimbrel
  0.0064%

  swan sp.
  0.0063%

  finch sp.
  0.0063%

  Sterna sp.
  0.0052%

  small falcon sp.
  0.0048%

  Willet
  0.0046%

  Parasitic Jaeger
  0.0046%

  Warbling/Philadelphia Vireo
  0.0046%

  Spizella sp.
  0.0046%

  Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo
  0.0045%

  Northern Gannet
  0.0043%

  Band-tailed Pigeon
  0.0042%

  flycatcher sp. (Tyrannidae sp.)
  0.0041%

  hawk sp.
  0.0033%

  waterfowl sp.
  0.0031%

  heron sp.
  0.0031%

  Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk
  0.0031%

  Sabine's Gull
  0.0031%

  Franklin's Gull
  0.0031%

  Red-headed Woodpecker
  0.0031%

  Yellow-throated Warbler
  0.0031%

  Black-bellied Plover/golden-plover sp.
  0.0027%

  goose sp.
  0.0022%

  Cackling/Canada Goose
  0.0022%

•	What are the ten rarest birds spotted in Vermont?  I think of Whooping
 Crane, Painted Bunting, Black-Tailed Gull, Golden-Crowned Sparrow, the
currently visiting Prothonotary Warbler and several others.  Selection
criteria might be single species sightings from a specific location over
 a relatively short time interval.
-The previous bit might help here a little, but it would be better to have a much larger data set and more crunching to really get this one right.

Jim Guion
Arlington, MA