]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  July 2016, Week 5

MEDLIB-L July 2016, Week 5

SUMMARY hospital archives in the library?

"Rosebrock, Anne W." <[log in to unmask]>

Rosebrock, Anne W.

Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:49:40 +0000

Trying this again.  Sorry it got flagged by our IronPort encryption the first time.

Thank you so much to all who responded!  You were all very helpful.

The replies ran the gamut from 'have some materials, but they are just sitting in boxes' to sophisticated collections of cataloged and digitized materials in a database and materials posted to webpages.

I've listed some resources mentioned at the end.  Here is a summary both from email replies and notes from phone conversations with identities removed:

One library received an archival collection including photo albums.  A volunteer deconstructed the albums and moved the photos to acid-free storage.  The librarian created an Excel document to catalog the collection (~300 photos) with each item numbered, described, and a scanned image imbedded.  The Excel document is available for searching in their Intranet, but not public.  Some of the content is posted to a more public libguides.

The number one thing you should do is put your photos, stories etc in protective archival grade holders.  And secure all things so no one can just help themselves.  It's a long term commitment.

One librarian inherited a collection partially cataloged by an archivist who had been hired, but did not complete the job.  She is completing cataloging the collection as she can, but it is off site and she can't get to it often.

the administrative office has (i.e. is responsible for) a collection of historical items from the hospital.  It is displayed in a glass class that is in the reception area where one would go to the executive offices.

the Hospital Library and Archives are under one umbrella.  I supervise the Library Technician responsible for the Archives.  Archive records are maintained in a FileMaker Pro Database, and in Excel files.  We talked about adding records to the catalogue when we first implemented SIRSIDYNIX Horizon, but this has not happened and is not likely to happen anytime soon.

We have the archives in our hospital library.  We do have artifacts and photos as well as many documents.  We use the PastPerfect software to catalog our items.  It is nice because it has separate categories for photos, artifacts, archive documents, and published works.  We keep almost anything if it is hospital related.  We try to not keep duplicates of items, or definitely not more than two.  Our PastPerfect access is on our company network, but only library staff have access to it.  If someone needs something we research it and find the images or documents they need.  For photographs we like that we can attach a digital copy to the  record as well as the location for the print.  If we only have a digital copy the location is "electronic"- no physical location.

Our new health system will be building a new hospital in about 6-7 years so I really want to preserve my  hospital's historical items, history and the ... archives as well....   At this point we are still figuring out what we have, where it is, who "owns it" (admins, marketing, depts, ???)  and how is it stored.  Also looking for other things like oral histories, etc.   There has never to my knowledge been any kind of archival policy here.

One of our retired physicians put together an Archive project and worked with a local historian to write a history of the hospital which was published in 2010.  They had support from our Development Dept and retained a student archivist to help with organizing the records.  However, the archivist left before the project was completed so organization was not maintained.
I have a large collection of scanned items in folders but they are not in any real order.  I do hold the access here in the library.  In a nutshell, board reports, publications and photographs were scanned up to 2009, but nothing has been done since.  We do not have any rules or guidelines in place for maintaining and adding to the collection.

Our Catholic hospital is the oldest in ---County so we have tons of historical material we archive.  I don't do any of the archiving thankfully, our retired librarian volunteers as our Archivist.

We have a lot of photos and memorabilia of our organization, including its heritage as a WWII Army training camp hospital, a State TB sanatorium, etc.  ... our archives are not very organized.  My newest staff member has a background and professional training in archival, but we have a very small staff and have not been able to take advantage of her expertise to improve our archives so far.
The only restriction on using or reproducing a photograph is if it comes from a copyrighted source or includes patients.  We follow copyright law/guidelines and HIPAA.  The HIPAA issue will affect what we end up scanning into a database when we get one set up, as we have several photos that include patients from the days of the old TB facility.  We work with our legal and health records departments on that.
We have yet to determine what database we will use.  My new person has started a draft of an archival plan, but we haven't made much progress on that so far.  My ultimate goal is to get a grant from the State Library, which has a specific grant program for preservation of and access to items of State historical significance.  They will pay for things such as the necessary equipment, etc. (including even project implementation staff, I think).
We allow people to browse through our photos, but only selected, vetted people can check them out for very specific and time-limited purposes.  We tend to just scan a copy in such cases.

beginning the same process at my organization.... Fortunately, the department I report to has assigned a summer intern to help.  I'm still hoping to recruit some students from a nearby MLIS program that might be specializing in Archives.  ...  There's a physician who's also regarded as [this hospital's]  resident historian.  He published a book a few years back, chronicling the history of the institution when we were known as [hospital].  I'm currently working with him to drum up some support for the project from our admin.

I'm the solo librarian, but I also manage the Archives--we recently lost our part-time archivist.
Here's our mission statement:
The Hospital Archives is the repository for historically valuable records relating to the heritage of [Hospital]. The archives have been established:
*             to appraise, collect, organize, describe, preserve and provide access to documents, audio/video recordings and photographs of permanent administrative, legal, fiscal and historic value;
*             to promote a wider knowledge and understanding of the heritage of the hospital
*             to provide information to staff and authorized researchers.
We use accession numbers when material comes in, and then file it by topic, using an archival arrangement that we set up in consultation with the Provincial Archivist of the [hospital related group]. Metadata about photos is entered into an MS Access database; a hyperlink to the image is included if the photo is digital or has been scanned.

I've become involved with our hospital archives over the years.   I work closely with a retired physician who is keenly interested in making archival resources available.   The Library has definitely become the storage site for archival resources.    We are very fortunate to have a lot of archival materials related to our former hospitals.   We went through a merger in 1993, and both of the former hospitals started in early 1900's - there is a long history to each hospital!  We have annual reports digitized and a few other historical documents /  papers etc.   The project to make archival resources available has been stalled somewhat by challenges in our Public Affairs & Communications department where there has been a lot of staff turnover & change in direction, especially related to our web pages (which is where we want the archival resources to be found.   We haven't officially catalogued any of the archival resources since our focus has been on digitizing them to make them available on the web.  I've met with a few web developers over the past few years and they suggested we come up with metadata to describe the items.
I hadn't really thought about cataloguing the archival items.   I thought we would link to them on our external website, but since this project is delayed it might be a good idea to catalogue the items and add them to our library catalogue or perhaps create a separate database solely for archival materials.  Eventually we might be able to link from the library catalogue to the digitized items.

We are actively adding items we acquire, such as stories on our institution in the local paper.
We do occasionally get donations from the community, retiring staff, etc.
In the time I've been here we've only once paid for a collection (an auction of things from our founding physician, sadly the auction agent sold us the package of things that DIDN'T sell in the auction - after the fact.  No telling what good stuff got sold.)
The photos in our collection belong (or were made by) our institution so we really don't pursue copyright.
Do you have a budget to get PastPerfect?  I would make sure to get the media component.  They sorta sell bits separately (unless things have changed)

I have the archives of the organization in the library.  We opened in 1918 and have print and artifacts.  Everything paper-based is indexed and kept in number labeled plastic archival envelopes.  Our library is open to the public Mon-Fri, but people wanting to access the archives must make an appointment to visit.
We do not lend items, but do allow some items to be photocopied.
Use of photos is strictly controlled because in the past we had some things posted to websites that were very negative about psychiatric hospitals.
We keep things like corporate annual reports/strategic plans, etc

Resources:

Programs used to catalog/describe the collections included PastPerfect, Excel, Word, Access, FileMaker Pro.

Pastperfect:   http://www.museumsoftware.com/products.html is the site for the software.  It is reasonably priced.  We opted to be AASLH members for the discount.
We get our archival supplies from Gaylord- http://www.gaylord.com/

Macdonald, Kerry, Jordan Bass, and Toby Maloney. "Honoring Our Hospital's History: A Preservation and Digitization Initiative." Medical Reference Services Quarterly 35.3 (2016): 332-341.
There is limited literature on hospital archives projects. Hospitals understandably have a strong focus on patient care, but there is still a critical need to keep institutional archives. Among their many uses, institutional archives preserve corporate memory, provide evidence of interactions with community, and assist in contemporary decision making. This column describes a university-hospital partnership to undertake a one-year project to preserve, detail, and digitize ten boxes, or approximately 3.8 meters, of materials dating from 1980 to 2006. This project serves as a model for other hospital or health care facilities wanting to preserve and more actively engage with their archival collections.

Specialty of the house. Enhancing value and visibility: the hospital library as manager of corporate history.(includes abstract) Towell FJ; Jones DA; Journal of Hospital Librarianship, 2007; 7(2): 83-89. (7p)
Abstract: As libraries make the transition into the electronic age, they must become creative in enhancing value to their organizations. By volunteering to manage the archives, the library has become involved with collecting, preserving, and retrieving documents and artifacts that chart the development of health care in the community for the past 100 years; therefore, visibility of the library has been increased to those both within the organization and outside in the community. Patrons look to the library for answers that are other than medical, therefore diversifying the library's research capabilities. This column will include a brief history of archives as well as the library's acquisition and organization of this department.

MLA 2006 Posters
From http://www.mla-hhss.org/abs06.html
Mark Vrabel, AHIP, Christine Maloney
Walking and talking through history: Putting to use the archived materials of a specialty nursing association
This poster highlights the ways the archived materials of a specialty nursing association have been utilized and promoted, particularly during anniversary celebrations. The Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) is a national organization of more than 32,000 registered nurses and other healthcare professionals. ONS maintains an archived collection of project files, photographs, oral history recordings, and other materials of historical significance. These materials are utilized in various ways, especially during anniversary years such as ONS's 25th and 30th anniversaries. Anniversary celebrations were limited in duration to that given year, and the results of all associated activities were documented in official reports completed by the anniversary project team, of which the librarian was a member. Other archives projects are ongoing, such as the oral history interviews, national office display case, and assistance to Chapter and SIG histories. Feedback on the "walk through history" was solicited via a comment box placed at the end of the exhibit. The exhibit also received outside media coverage; for example, an article was published in Nursing Spectrum. For activities of this nature, much of the feedback is more informal, such as verbal comments from exhibit attendees and viewers of displays. In 2000 (ONS 25th anniversary) and 2005 (30th anniversary), some ways in which archived materials were used included a "walk through history" exhibit at the Annual Congress highlighting the Society's growth/achievements (it also included significant social and medical trends/headlines); a supplement to the Society's Oncology Nursing Forum journal documenting the organization's development (reprinting many photos and documents from the archives); columns in the Society's ONS News authored by the librarian, as well as excerpts from the oral history interview transcripts of ONS past presidents (excerpts also were displayed as captions to hanging portraits in the aforementioned "walk through history" exhibit). Archived materials are put to use outside of anniversary years as well, via rotating displays in the national office, providing photos and research materials for a book on the history of oncology nursing, and assisting ONS Chapters and Special Interest Groups (SIGs) with their own historical needs.

Again, thank you so much to all who responded!

Anne Rosebrock, MLS
Reference Librarian

Orlando Health
orlandohealth.com

This e-mail message and any attached files are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, use, or distribution of this e-mail message and any attached files is strictly prohibited.

This communication may contain material protected by Federal privacy regulations, attorney-client work product, or other privileges. If you have received this confidential communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail message and permanently delete the original message. To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to: [log in to unmask] .

If this e-mail message concerns a contract matter, be advised that no employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Orlando Health by e-mail without express written confirmation by an officer of the corporation. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Orlando Health.