]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VAGUE Home

VAGUE  September 2016

VAGUE September 2016

Linux_adult_swim Meeting today, Labor Day September 5th at 5 PM at 40 Washington Street, Barre Vermont

Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Sep 2016 11:22:14 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Greetings List Lurkers,

What a bummer, I appear to have sheared the feeder nozzle extension on the HICTOP
3D printer extruder, it jammed up again last night on a print.  I need to
get a line on an improved feed stock system.  The
positioning problem with the belt driven elements seems to have been
fixed by oiling the slider bearings and surfaces.  The good news is that
the pre-ordered extrusion heads arrive tomorrow...

Based the kerfuffle with the Moose at the beginning of August, I will be
down in the south buying another car, so I am afraid we will need find a
substitute pizza cooker for the September 12th meeting and to postpone our
field trip to Northfield to visit with Rachael Little and the gang.  I
fully intend to get together a field trip to their Thursday night meeting
once I get some new wheels...

Anyway on to Projects!:

The damn maker stuff and general domestic tranquility has been eating my
time.  The good news is the latest project...

VINYL CUTTER
I could not even properly spell vinyl when I began, but the good news is
that the US Cutter vinyl cutter is in place, assembled and operational.
The hope is that Mike E's friend who knows something about this craft can
stop by, use the cutter to complete a project for him and show me some
smoke about vinyl cutting, kind of a maker thing.  The prototype and
disorganized site for this is:
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/maker

3DPRINT

Got the new control board, then got the old one working... The a 3Decology
I have constructed around this seems to help a lot, at least there is a
place to store the tools this thing needs. So 3D infrastructure is
important to facilitate printing.

  http://docbox.flint.com:8081/3D_print

Other than my whining at the beginning of this newsletter, so I continue
to make angle brackets and dream of cat statues...

TRANTOR
The latest project coming sideways at us is Marius's server, which I have
tentatively named "Trantor" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trantor). We
hope to have the entire Linux Format DVD series available there.  God help me
if I have not started a visual.bash project for this, and the project now has a
website:
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/trantor
The huge accomplishment was beyond starting the software, actually
backing up all 250 giga bytes we already have online.  Our current issue
remains trying to get scanned in CD covers now in a random collection of
pdf formatted scans, faithfully and systematically reproduced as nice
clickable html...  This project continues to lurch forward as time
permits.

VMulater:
This is a working demo if you are interested in the wonderful world of zVM, I
have a ziddlewiki supporting this demo available at:
  http://docbox.flint.com:8081/vm
Again, the bottom line is that Docker and tmux work fine together...

Anyone out there willing to go off the reservation with VM5.3?
Could you turn the Raspberry Pi into an IBM VM emulator?  As discovered last
week, it appears yes...

  http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/blog/my-raspberry-pi-thinks-it-s-a-mainframe

...and it appears here on a PI B.  What will it do on a PI3?  Still holding.

THE TECHNORUBBLE REPORT TECHNORUBBLE -
The Website http://technorubble.org,http://technorubble.com
Dan did not post, but I inted to call him and get him over for the meeting
tonight.  We did check out the Waterbury Flea, which looks right but costs
$25.00 per booth.  Again, I am hopeful that Dan will be is joining Brett
today at the meeting and we can discuss in this project.  In any event we
will be setting up at the Shelburne Mini Maker Fair September 24 & 25,
2016. While last week we got sorting and packaging done.  We need more
TechnoRubble. We are working out the details for this as we speak.  The
idea is to get people to mail is their TechnoRubble.

PITCHBOX

You may have heard that the PiTch-Box is an enclosure built out of the
shipping case the Raspberry Pi Touch Display comes in.  The power supply
design is lagging in that we have one that works and another that doesn't.
The only answer is to build a third unit and see who breaks the tie.

The good news is that it appears that a most viable PiTchBox power supply is an
old PC supply.  I have received half a dozen 12VDC to 5V at 3A converters,
successors to the venerable 7805. One is going on the 3 D printer, the others
are getting added to the Pitch mix.  I have one that is stable as a rock.
Another that goes west abour once a half-hour.  The only tie breaker is to
build a third PiTchBox.

  http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#PiTch-Box

The third one if it works right will likely be used for a basement
agricultural project I am envisioning. The result of the tie breaker will
likely be a candidate for the Flint Indoor Phospher Ehnanced Indoor
Greenhouse which I intend to develop to keep myself sane this winter.
More on this project as it unfolds.

I hope to show Bit Ed one of the DC-DC converters, they are nifty.

Anyway, we need to continue to develop the software and hardware PiTchBox
library such as...

JARVIS ON JENKINS

You may recall that brother Kevin Cole has ported Jarvis, a voice recognition
product to run on a Raspberry PI3.  This is exciting and we are attempting to
reproduce this here in the Casa Flint Lab...
  http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#JarvisOnJenkins
In continuing travels and travials this project is on a haiatus, but is not out
of active developent...  This week will hopefully bring some developments...

PYRS
PYRS is in deep, deep, deep, deep, background, I remain fascinated with the
idea of writing a python tax library... PYRS - A python interface to the IRS!
(http://docbox.flint.com:8081/pyrs) Maybe the conference can dissuade me. This
is at the hold point...

KINDLE LIBERATON FRONT
As mentioned a few weeks back, Due to the bandwidth issue, and my own traveling
adventures the entire Kindle Liberation Front is lagging, we hope that a
rumored appearance of no less than Joe Hart himself will bring about progress
in the area detailed below.

Again, the bad news is that all the new units are coming in with 5.1.3. Also, I
think I killed one of these 5.1.1. units with water.  Good news is that I took
it apart and am drying it out. It may end up as parts. Hopefully in the coming
week.
  http://docbox.flint.com:8081/kindle
The good news is that getting the google play store on these puppies still
works.

To summarize, the meeting today is again at 40 Washington Street, Barre, VT
05641.

Topics for discussion as usual remain:

- Open Source Educational Human Development
   I am working on an idea... I am changing the priority of our
   eternal needs, and placing education first.

- Maker Movement A Maker Space in Barre?  Why not? Could it be that the
   commercial power centers do not yet appreciate the value?  I need to
   revise my paper on this subject and get it out to Lucas Jensen
   who has good ideas about a Barre Maker Space.

- Move BOSI to become more git centric... develop gittlywiki... working!
   check out tiddlywiki5 here: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5
   We still need to convert... Yea buddy...

- Blue Sky R&D, but in Vermont it will be Gun-metal Grey Sky(c) R&D.

- I fought the DREK and the DREK continues to win.  Remember, What
   really is holds us back is DREK!!!  DREK is what happens to your
   workspace (both hardware and  software) when you fail to put stuff
   away, or you let your friends or relatives use it.  This is a cosmic
   law.  I am still fighting the DREK.

These five points are becomming almost like policy!

Anyway, we have the technology and we will have Pizza tonight 5-7 at Hedding
UMC.

This is the official notice of the Barre Open Systems Institute (BOSI) Adult
Swim. For those coming in via the Google Plus and the Internet, and there are
folks who are gonna try, the swim stars at 6:00 PM EST.

Our ongoing major objective is to continue to try to figure out how to invest
the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems Institute into more than
just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more into a real learning facility.
One direction we have been working on is to begin thinking about classes. The
curriculum that I am most interested in is teaching documentation.

Once again, the goal of the meeting shall be as usual, to get organized and try
to get the various projects moving forward, despite DREK. We continue to wonder
about how to build the BOSI curriculum to this webpage:
http://bosivt.org/classes, Take a look if you dare...

Remember, the BOSI Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of
open source products in a clinic environment.  Despite my very best of
intentions, the Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install-fest, and
only secondarily a learning environment,

The ever growing list of projects (now on our web site :^) includes:
- http://ledroid.org - Ok, this is a real project eh?
- http://bzinga.net - What happens when you combine Bash and Zenity?
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs - ok, it is on the list.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot - jesum they love this robot
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon - monitor that pellet furnace
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino - moving in the arduino groove
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/javajive - to get better at Javascript
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp  - Temperature Sensors Project
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules - The quest for Roberts Rules -
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash - Yea, I am not kidding...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg - remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry - all versions
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org - maybe a very cool project.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized - oh please let me be organized!
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music - this may be the least organized
    site ever!
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb - A big noble idea.
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/grantbot - A less noble idea to feed the
   big idea...
- http://docbox.flint.com:8081/gitlywiki - is tiddlywiki5 the answer?

Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source
Software discussion and general system rejuvenation. Expect to be remotely
preached at on the various topics of Open Source and how I am confident it
shall cure all the evils and ills of this wicked world.  In a perfect meeting,
people would come in, sit down, see the stuff we have been doing and hopefully
help us get the DIY stuff we are doing done, or maybe just fix a laptop.

So, do not forget that the Barre library stocks "Linux Format", and the latest
issue is on the shelf, and it is good.  The DVD's are available to checkout and
copy, we shall to continue provide copies and isos of each and every one. I am
continuing to duplicate about a years worth of DVD's which is quite a task. You
may want to watch this space for developments.

Anyway, come and do open source stuff. For more information about the BOSI
Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

http://bosivt.org/directions

Show up at Hedding UMC if you have questions or are interested in Linux or the
concept of free and open systems.  Again, we are in the basement of the Hedding
UMC facility which is actually working out pretty well.

Somehow we need to make progress not more projects!!!

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note.

This is Flint signing off...

I will be refactoring our newsletter at some point in the future (do not hold
your breath :^)...

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360
(802) 595-9365 Cell

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT