Re: teaching examples

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

David P. Dillard

Wed, 21 Sep 2016 18:42:47 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Thank you for checking quotation marks as a work around in PUBMED. I did
use them in my original search but I forgot to include the link. Composing
messages while at the reference desk has its hazards.  Even in instances
when quotation marks do not have results or just in general in tools like
Google Scholar, Google Books and Summon than PUBMED searches.  Also,
because it is searching the full text, PUBMED Central can be very
effective in phrase searching when PUBMED is not finding one or more
phrases in a search strategy.

.

I did not put the link in my last post, at the reference desk, here are
ones for several non-PUBMED databases.

Google Domain Limited Web Search (PUBMED)

http://tinyurl.com/hftss6g

17,000 Hits

From the PUBMED system some of the database search result numbers for this
topic

Literature

Db	Count	Description
Books	242	books and reports
MeSH	1	ontology used for PubMed indexing
NLM Catalog	15	books, journals and more in the NLM Collections
PubMed	601	scientific & medical abstracts/citations
PubMed Central	880	full-text journal articles
Genes
Db	Count	Description
EST	0	expressed sequence tag sequences
Gene	42	collected information about gene loci
GEO DataSets	0	functional genomics studies
GEO Profiles	4,800	gene expression and molecular abundance profiles
HomoloGene	0	homologous gene sets for selected organisms
PopSet	0	sequence sets from phylogenetic and population studies
UniGene	0	clusters of expressed transcripts
Health
Db	Count	Description
ClinVar	0	human variations of clinical significance
dbGaP	5	genotype/phenotype interaction studies
GTR	5	genetic testing registry
MedGen	0	medical genetics literature and links
OMIM	51	online mendelian inheritance in man
PubMed Health	15	clinical effectiveness, disease and drug reports

Here are the other options I am sharing.

Google Scholar

http://tinyurl.com/hwsrovc

.

Google Books

http://tinyurl.com/zo3fp9d

.

Temple Summon Search

http://tinyurl.com/jbajnxp

20,950 results

Archival Material (10) Include Exclude
Audio Recording (30) Include Exclude
Book / eBook (3,506) Include Exclude
Book Chapter (252) Include Exclude
Book Review (181) Include Exclude
Conference Proceeding (14) Include Exclude
Data Set (1) Include Exclude
Dissertation/Thesis (362) Include Exclude
Government Document (28) Include Exclude
Journal Article (6,279) Include Exclude
Magazine (1) Include Exclude
Magazine Article (387) Include Exclude
Manuscript (32) Include Exclude
Microform (3) Include Exclude
Newsletter (773) Include Exclude
Newspaper Article (8,825) Include Exclude
Pamphlet (6) Include Exclude
Paper (1) Include Exclude
Patent (4) Include Exclude
Publication (5) Include Exclude
Reference (198) Include Exclude
Report (22) Include Exclude
Research Guide (3) Include Exclude
Streaming Video (4) Include Exclude
Student Thesis (1) Include Exclude
Technical Report (3) Include Exclude
Trade Publication Article (100) Include Exclude
Transcript (77) Include Exclude
Video Recording (3) Include Exclude
Web Resource (75)

.

Trip Database

http://tinyurl.com/jxs62yj

.

Some Considerations Regarding Use of Databases Other than PUBMED

.

In case there are folks who feel that PUBMED is the database of choice for
this search, I am not certain of that idea and there are some additional
matters to consider in database selections.

.

While Google Scholar has 15,400 hits which in any Google search is never
more than 1,000 that are actually shown.  It should also be noted that
Google Scholar indicates by link citations to sources citing each article
that they found be cited.  This can be a useful way to determine the value
of an article.  Furthermore, for users of Google Scholar and logged into
Google Scholar from the proxy server of that institution in cases where
that institution subscribes to Web of Science, a link to articles citing
each appropriate source in Web of Science is also available. According to
a trainer from Thompson Reuters for Web of Science, all sources in Web of
Science are peer reviewed.

.

The TRIP database contents are entirely made up of evidence based sources.

They note in terms of this search

"If you had Trip Pro you'd have access to 4 further Systematic Reviews,
links to 61 free full-text articles and 76 clinical trials  all without
adverts."

However, Google Scholar responds to this search:

("do not resuscitate order" OR "do not resuscitate orders") AND
"systematic reviews" AND "evidence based"

with 296 hits.

Google Scholar responds to this search:

("do not resuscitate order" OR "do not resuscitate orders") AND "clinical
trials" AND "evidence based"

with 1,250 hits.

.

Summon Search has a link that pulls peer reviewed sources from a larger
search result.  One can also combine this result with only journal
articles.

.

In my opinion, using several databases can yield richer and more diverse
results than simply using one database. None of the databases mentioned in
this post are fee based with the exceptions of Web of Science and the
premium version of Trip.  The basic version of Trip is very useful and
available to all at no cost on the web.  The basic Trip database does not
allow access to advanced search features.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group