]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 2016, Week 1

MEDLIB-L December 2016, Week 1

Re: Non health science library research policies?

Lenore R Wilkas <[log in to unmask]>

Lenore R Wilkas <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Dec 2016 14:18:53 +0000

A major part of my job at the College of Nursing is doing the lit searches for the nursing research faculty
to support their research proposals and manuscripts as well as  supporting the teaching faculty
with the latest information in their areas. The administration also calls on me to
find the support they need for various endeavors. I also am the College's liaison to the university
library.

Faculty feel very comfortable having me do it because of my knowledge of the field
and decades of searching expertise.  The comment heard many times is "you
always find things I would have never found. " While I do use the
databases, quite a bit of valuable information... guidelines, position statements,
statistics, and other data are found in places other than databases.  I leave no stone unturned.

This semester, I also have started to help graduate students with their searching. It is surprising
to me that so many lack  basic searching skills. What did they do in undergrad?
And, sadly, I have found it is best not to assume any knowledge of searching and start from scratch.

Folks here call me "Super Sleuth"...

Lenore

Lenore R. Wilkas  M.L.S.
Research Librarian
Werley Center for Nursing Research & Evaluation (WCNRE)
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
College of Nursing
1921 E. Hartford, Room 479
Milwaukee, WI 53211