]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 2016, Week 1

MEDLIB-L December 2016, Week 1

Re: Non health science library research policies?

"Andrew Spencer (SCHN)" <[log in to unmask]>

Andrew Spencer (SCHN)

Wed, 7 Dec 2016 01:26:36 +0000

As a former academic librarian who worked with faculty from the sciences, I agree 100% with Layla. The searches that faculty are doing are related to their research, which will lead to the publication of articles, and they wouldn't be comfortable having someone else do the search for them. In contrast, very few of the searches that I've done since becoming a medical librarian nearly two years ago have been related to research projects. They've mostly dealt with developing or updating policies/procedures, quality improvement projects (which I suppose could qualify as research), or helping with assignments.

I'd also like to respond to the point made by Katherine in an earlier post. When it comes to providing good customer service in libraries, I think it comes down to the different focus of the work that the library's patrons are doing, and the library services that they see as important. There were plenty of services which we offered to faculty at the university which we don't offer here in the medical library e.g. assistance with preparing applications for promotion, deciding where to publish, measuring research impact. These were services which the faculty valued, and frankly we would have been hard-pressed finding sufficient additional staff time to offer a search service. The two libraries offer different services, but I believe they both provide good customer service because they each recognise the needs of its patrons and offer them services which meet these needs.

Andrew Spencer | Information Services Librarian | Medical Library
t: (02) 9845 0681 | e: [log in to unmask] | w: www.schn.health.nsw.gov.au

Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead, NSW Australia
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead 2145, NSW Australia

♲  Please consider the environment before printing this email.