]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VAGUE Home

VAGUE  February 2017

VAGUE February 2017

Re: [Linux_adult_swim] Linux_adult_swim Meeting today, Monday February 6th, 5 PM at 40 Washington Street...

Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:25:55 -0500

Dear Shawn,

We can figure something out...

Regards,

Flint

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017, shawn pfeiffer wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 13:14:46 -0500
> From: shawn pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]>
> Cc: Adult Swim <[log in to unmask]>,
>     Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: [Linux_adult_swim] Linux_adult_swim Meeting today,
>     Monday February 6th, 5 PM at 40 Washington Street...
>
> Quick question, is there a scanner there?  I got my Renter's Rebate, and I
> ahve to scan it and make it a PDF for the VT tax people to do it online.
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Paul Flint <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Greetings List Lurkers,
>>
>> I am so frustrated with Python, I am ready to study golang.
>>
>> Specifically I have been trying to install the very coolest REsT WYSIWYG
>> editor called "enki", and it is kicking my ass.  This has to do with the
>> dreaded Python QT extensions that are overextended into something called
>> the "Webkit".  It is all just too mucking futch.
>>
>> Be aware!
>> If you have been keeping up with the trials and tribulations of BOSI you
>> will know how intimately enki is related to...
>>
>> TRANTOR
>>
>> Going over Trantor, it suddenly occurred to me how inaccurate the list of
>> DVD's and issue dates really were.  Imagine my surprise to discover that
>> there was no where on the DVD where the issue date was available in a
>> digital form, except for the actual ".png" which is a graphical
>> representation of the cover of the DVD.  This resulted in my writing a
>> script that:
>>
>> 1. Grabbed the cover .png.
>> 2. Cropped it down to just the DVD number and Date
>> 3. With Teseract, OCRing the information and finally
>> 4. Dropping it into a spreadsheet.
>>
>> This is the hard way to do this, but it got done.  The really good news is
>> that no less than Neil Bothwick surveyed the damage and allowed that in
>> future Linux Format DVDs there will be a file called "issue" which will
>> contain this information.
>>
>> Securing this information made me realize that the largely automatic
>> generation of the individual ".rst" REsT files at the base level is a very
>> good idea.  The problem was getting hold of accurate issue date. Now that
>> this issue of issues is out of the way, the rest of the week will yield
>> this automation of the ".rst" base files.  A good thing.
>>
>> Connectivity:
>>
>> As we mentioned last week apparently the fellow that coordinated the
>> Kimball library public access is no longer with DII.  So, Lee Bonamico is
>> delving into this to find the new DII POC.  We wish her luck.  The reverse
>> proxy is stable and operating which allows for updates to the current site.
>> When it was up we were able to burnish the control software a bit.
>>
>> Sarah the librarian is actually talking about doing a press release. I
>> hope to have a draft for her to review on the Trantor web site ASAP.
>>
>> This project is still operating in development at the library and in this
> [...]

Kindest Regards,

☮ Paul Flint
(802) 595-9365 Cell

Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgement in response to this note.

Paul Flint
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641