VTBIRD Archives

February 2017

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2017 18:38:34 -0500
Berries and even some seeds.

"Some preferred winter food sources include dogwood, hawthorn, wild
grape, and sumac, and hackberry seeds. Supplemental fruits eaten include
black raspberries, bayberries, fruit of honeysuckle, Virginia creeper,
eastern juniper, and pokeberries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_bluebird

I assume the abundant sumac on the edges of my property and beyond is
the reason they're such frequent visitors in wintertime.

Jane
(Shoreham)