]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  February 2017

VTBIRD February 2017

Snow Goose x Canada Goose hybrid (?) in Cornwall .. update

Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Feb 2017 18:26:24 -0500

Well, good looks today at the bird seen yesterday in the flooded fields
of the Lemon Fair flats in Cornwall, and mentioned below in this thread,
proved that the bird is indeed a domestic Graylag ... or sort of.

It has a very heavy body in contrast to the Snow Goose and Canada Geese
around it, especially when seen from behind.  The neck is thick and the
head large. The large bill is orange, as are the legs.  The face and
head are white and the back of the head and the entire neck and throat
are a pied coloration of black with white.  The back is gray or
gray-brown and lightly patterned.  The breast is light, and the
after-flanks and rear are bright white.

Check out this article From the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domgeese.htm

Scroll down to this section header:  "*Just to keep things confusing,
geese hybridize too*."

Find the picture of five sibs crossing a parking lot in Stewart Park in
Ithaca.  The leader of the troop closest to the camera is exactly like
the bird that is hanging out in the Lemon Fair flooded fields.  The
parents of that clutch of five are described in the article thusly ---

"The parents were clearly domestic geese, but it kind of looks like Mom
was fooling around with a Canada Goose.  ...  This form appears to be
rather common, at least in Upstate New York over the last few years.  It
closely resembles the "Greater White-fronted X Canada Goose hybrid"
pictured in the Sibley Guide to Birds, but is probably far more
frequently encountered than that presumably rare hybrid."

Ian