]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  February 2017, Week 2

MEDLIB-L February 2017, Week 2

Re: BULK EMAIL:Re: Ask "Why"?: preprocedural sedation refusal

"Truex, Eleanor" <[log in to unmask]>

Truex, Eleanor

Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:58:51 +0000

Have you tried refusal of anesthesia as a search term/phrase? I input that into PubMed (as far as I can see, there is no MeSH term for this occurrence--and there should be; it's not uncommon) and got 179 "results", not all of the pertinent. The only terms I find that are MeSH are Decision Making, Dissent and Refusal to Participate (which does not point to the situation you are describing). Honestly, I think the search will have to be done specifically, as in "refusal of anesthesia for ER procedures"; for OB (labor and delivery); for outpatient procedures (which takes you into free-standing ambulatory surgicenters vs urgent cares vs ambulatory care etc). More broadly, the topic leads to patients' rights but also informed consent.

I did find the MeSH Treatment Refusal, which, in a way, is what we're talking about, but it's broad--too broad. I tried pairing it with anesthesia and then pain, but got only lots of end of life issue type stuff, or articles about pts refusing surgery all together, which is not the same thing.

 I think what we have been trying to say is that the doubts, fears, and ignorance surrounding anesthesia can (and should) be allayed in the anesthesia interview. I cannot image a CRNA or an Anesthesiologist not talking to a patient at length about the pitfalls of refusing anesthesia. Anesthesia has risks and can be dangerous, but pain brings with it its own risks and dangers, too. Much depends on the procedure planned, the history of the patient and the reasons for the refusal.  Frankly, I don't see the surgeon or the sleeper going ahead with the procedure (again, depending) if anesthesia is not allowed--UNLESS the anesthesiologist can provide an adequate alternative. Hmm.. maybe try something like "alternatives to anesthesia" --come at it from a different angle.
I'm curious to know what you find out, if anything.

Eleanor Truex
Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region

THIS IS THE POWER OF COMPASSION.
THIS IS PRESENCE.

Presence
Saint Francis Hospital
355 Ridge Avenue | Evanston , IL 60202
Office: 847.316.2460

Presence
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago , IL 60657
Office: 773.665.3038
presencehealth.org

Connect with Presence Health
Find a Doctor | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube

Sponsored by Presence Health Ministries