]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2017, Week 2

MEDLIB-L April 2017, Week 2

Re: Library outreach idea-need your advice - just like the barbershop/hair shop hypertension initiatives

"Esparza, Julia M." <[log in to unmask]>

Esparza, Julia M.

Thu, 13 Apr 2017 19:20:25 +0000

Hello,

There are obviously some legal issues involved with this that your hospital/health center can address.  Places send students out who have had more than training on how to take blood pressure to health fairs and I see this as no different PROVIDE you can point to specific training.

Here are some citations with many of them free that show how the barbershop idea has been implemented.  I didn't look up the hair shops but that has been used as well.  If barbers can be trained to help AA track their blood pressure and refer that they seek professional medical help that isn't prescribing and it isn't diagnosing.  If they have already been diagnosed and are being just tracked then that is not diagnosing.  Also if they haven't been diagnosed but it is discovered then you would not "diagnose" you would refer the person on to a professional that can address the issue.  Facilitating that they get the right contact information is something we ethically should try to do in that case.

Never let doubts hold you back but do your research.  Try starting with your community affairs/PR department to get an idea on how this is done for regular health fairs.

Good luck!

Julie Esparza

J Community Health. 2017 Feb;42(1):139-146. doi: 10.1007/s10900-016-0240-4.  NOT FREE but should be obtainable on interlibrary loan.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10900-016-0240-4
Alternative Locales for the Health Promotion of African American Men: A Survey of African American Men in Chicago Barbershops.
Murphy AB1, Moore NJ2, Wright M2, Gipson J2, Keeter M3, Cornelious T3, Reed D4, Russell J3, Watson KS5, Murray M6.
Abstract
African American men (AA) carry unequal burdens of several conditions including cancer, diabetes, hypertension, and HIV. Engagement of diverse populations including AA men in research and health promotion practice is vital to examining the health disparities that continue to plague many racially and ethnically diverse communities. To date, there is little research on best practices that indicate locations, community areas and settings to engage AA men in research and health promotion. Traditionally, the AA church has been a key area to engage AA men and women. However, changing tides in attendance of AA parishioners require additional information to identify areas where AAs, particularly, AA men congregate. The AA barbershop has been identified as a place of social cohesion, cultural immersion and solidarity for AA men but specific sub-populations of AA men may be underrepresented. To further investigate additional locales where AA men congregate, this study engaged AA barbers and clients in several urban community barbershops in Chicago, Illinois. 127 AA men over age 18y/o receiving grooming services in 25 Chicago area barbershops across 14 predominantly AA communities were consented and recruited for a quantitative survey study. The self-administered surveys were completed in ~15 min and $10 compensation was provided to men. Descriptive statistics were reported for demographic variables and for frequency of responses for locations to find AA men of specific age ranges for health promotion and screening activities. Outside of the traditionally used churches or barbershops, the top recommended recruitment sites by age were: 18-29y/o- city park or a recreational center; 30-39y/o- gym, bars or the street; 40-49y/o- various stores, especially home improvement stores, and the mall; and 50y/o+- fast food restaurants in the mornings, such as McDonalds, and individual's homes. The study participants also reported that locations where AA men congregate vary by age. Findings from this study illustrate that AA barbers and
 barbershops remain a key stakeholder in health promotion among AA men. The findings also demonstrate the need for additional research to examine best practices for identifying locations where diverse groups of AA men that vary by age and sexual orientation may congregate in order to support increased health promotion among AA men.
PMID: 27651166

J Community Health. 2014 Feb;39(1):181-90. doi: 10.1007/s10900-013-9744-3. FREE
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3947222
Qualitative systematic review of barber-administered health education, promotion, screening and outreach programs in African-American communities.
Luque JS1, Ross L, Gwede CK.
Abstract
The barbershop has been portrayed as a culturally appropriate venue for reaching Black men with health information and preventive health screenings to overcome institutional and socio-cultural barriers. The purpose of this review is to synthesize the peer-reviewed literature on barbershop-based health programs to provide lessons learned for researchers and practitioners. A literature search was conducted to identify articles for the review. Inclusion criteria specified that studies had to be based in the United States and reported about research where barbers were either being assessed for the feasibility of their participation or recruited to administer health education/screening outreach or research activities. The literature search produced 901 unique bibliographic records from peer-reviewed publications. After eliminating articles not meeting the inclusion criteria, 35 articles remained for full-text review. The final article sample consisted of 16 articles for complete abstraction to assess characteristics of studies, role and training of barbers, outcomes targeted, effectiveness, and key findings. All barbershop-based studies reviewed targeted Black men in urban settings. Common study designs were cross-sectional studies, feasibility studies, needs assessments, and one-shot case studies. Barber administered interventions addressed primarily prostate cancer and hypertension, and barbers provided health education, screening, and referrals to health care. Nonintervention studies focused mostly on surveying or interviewing barbers for assessing the feasibility of future interventions. Barbershops are a culturally appropriate venue for disseminating health education materials in both print and media formats. Barbershops are also acceptable venues for training barbers to conduct education and screening. In studies where barbers received training, their knowledge of various health conditions increased significantly and knowledge gains were sustained over time. They were also able to increase knowledge and promote
positive health behaviors among their customers, but these outcomes were variable and not consistently documented.
PMID: 23913106

Arch Intern Med. 2011 Feb 28;171(4):342-50.  FREE
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3365537
Effectiveness of a barber-based intervention for improving hypertension control in black men: the BARBER-1 study: a cluster randomized trial.
Victor RG1, Ravenell JE, Freeman A, Leonard D, Bhat DG, Shafiq M, Knowles P, Storm JS, Adhikari E, Bibbins-Domingo K, Coxson PG, Pletcher MJ, Hannan P, Haley RW.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Barbershop-based hypertension (HTN) outreach programs for black men are becoming increasingly common, but whether they are an effective approach for improving HTN control remains uncertain.
METHODS:
To evaluate whether a continuous high blood pressure (BP) monitoring and referral program conducted by barbers motivates male patrons with elevated BP to pursue physician follow-up, leading to improved HTN control, a cluster randomized trial (BARBER-1) of HTN control was conducted among black male patrons of 17 black-owned barbershops in Dallas County, Texas (March 2006-December 2008). Participants underwent 10-week baseline BP screening, and then study sites were randomized to a comparison group that received standard BP pamphlets (8 shops, 77 hypertensive patrons per shop) or an intervention group in which barbers continually offered BP checks with haircuts and promoted physician follow-up with sex-specific peer-based health messaging (9 shops, 75 hypertensive patrons per shop). After 10 months, follow-up data were obtained. The primary outcome measure was change in HTN control rate for each barbershop.
RESULTS:
The HTN control rate increased more in intervention barbershops than in comparison barbershops (absolute group difference, 8.8% [95% confidence interval (CI), 0.8%-16.9%]) (P = .04); the intervention effect persisted after adjustment for covariates (P = .03). A marginal intervention effect was found for systolic BP change (absolute group difference, -2.5 mm Hg [95% CI, -5.3 to 0.3 mm Hg]) (P = .08).
CONCLUSIONS:
The effect of BP screening on HTN control among black male barbershop patrons was improved when barbers were enabled to become health educators, monitor BP, and promote physician follow-up. Further research is warranted.
TRIAL REGISTRATION:
clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00325533.
PMID: 20975012

J Natl Med Assoc. 2010 Apr;102(4):336-45.  FREE
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3758504
Cardiovascular disease control through barbershops: design of a nationwide outreach program.
Releford BJ1, Frencher SK Jr, Yancey AK, Norris K.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
To review the success of barbershops as vehicles for health promotion and outline the Black Barbershop Health Outreach Program (BBHOP), a rapidly growing, replicable model for health promotion through barbershops.
METHODS:
BBHOP was established by clinicians in order to enhance community level awareness of and empowerment for cardiometabolic disorders such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. At coordinated events utilizing existing infrastructures as well as culturally and gender-specific health promotion, BBHOP volunteers screen for diabetes and hypertension and reinforce lifestyle recommendations for the prevention of cardiometabolic disorders from the Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Patrons with abnormal findings are referred to participating physicians or health care facilities. We performed a selective review of the literature in order to place this model for health promotion in the context of previous efforts in barbershops. BBHOP is among several successful programs that have sought to promote health in barbershops. Combining a grassroots organization approach to establishing a broad-based network of volunteers and partner agencies with substantial marketing expertise and media literacy, the BBHOP has screened more than 7000 African American men in nearly 300 barbershops from more than 20 cities across 6 states.
CONCLUSIONS:
The BBHOP is an effective method for community level health promotion and referral for cardio-metabolic diseases, especially for AA men, one of the nation's most vulnerable populations.
PMID: 20437741

Am Heart J. 2009 Jan;157(1):30-6. FREE
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2638989
A barber-based intervention for hypertension in African American men: design of a group randomized trial.
Victor RG1, Ravenell JE, Freeman A, Bhat DG, Storm JS, Shafiq M, Knowles P, Hannan PJ, Haley R, Leonard D.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Barbershops constitute potential sites for community health promotion programs targeting hypertension (HTN) in African American men but such programs previously have not been formally evaluated.
METHODS:
A randomized trial (ClinicalTrials.gov no. NCT00325533) will test whether a continuous HTN detection and medical referral program conducted by influential peers (barbers) in a receptive community setting (barbershops) can promote treatment-seeking behavior and thus lower blood pressure (BP) among the regular customers with HTN. Barbers will offer a BP check with each haircut and encourage appropriate medical referral using real stories of other customers modeling the desired behaviors. A cohort of 16 barbershops will go through a pretest/posttest group-randomization protocol. Serial cross-sectional data collection periods (10 weeks each) will be conducted by interviewers to obtain accurate snapshots of HTN control in each barbershop before and after 10 months of either barber-based intervention or no active intervention. The primary outcome is BP control: BP <135/85 mm Hg (nondiabetic subjects) and <130/80 mm Hg (diabetic subjects) measured in the barbershop during the 2 data collection periods. The multilevel analysis plan uses hierarchical models to assess the effect of covariates on HTN control and secondary outcomes while accounting for clustering of observations within barbershops.
CONCLUSIONS:
By linking community health promotion to the health care system, this program could serve as a new model for HTN control and cardiovascular risk reduction in African American men on a nationwide scale.
PMID: 19081393

Hypertension. 2007 May;49(5):1040-6. FRE
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/49/5/1040.long
Barbershops as hypertension detection, referral, and follow-up centers for black men.
Hess PL1, Reingold JS, Jones J, Fellman MA, Knowles P, Ravenell JE, Kim S, Raju J, Ruger E, Clark S, Okoro C, Ogunji O, Knowles P, Leonard D, Wilson RP, Haley RW, Ferdinand KC, Freeman A, Victor RG.
Author information
Abstract
Barbershops constitute potential sites for community health promotion programs targeting hypertension (HTN) in black men, but such programs have not been evaluated previously. Here we conducted 2 nonrandomized feasibility studies to determine whether an enhanced intervention program of continuous blood pressure (BP) monitoring and peer-based health messaging in a barbershop lowers BP more than standard screening and health education (study 1) and can be implemented by barbers rather than research personnel (study 2). In study 1, we measured changes in HTN treatment and BP in regular barbershop customers with poorly controlled HTN assigned for 8 months to either an enhanced intervention group (n=36) or a contemporaneous comparison group (n=27). Groups were similar at baseline. BP fell by 16+/-3/9+/-2 mm Hg in the enhanced intervention group but was unchanged in the comparison group (P<0.0001, adjusted for age and body mass index). HTN treatment and control increased from 47% to 92% (P<0.001) and 19% to 58% (P<0.001), respectively, in the enhanced intervention group, whereas both remained unchanged in the comparison group. In study 2, barbers were trained to administer the enhanced intervention continuously for 14 months to the entire adult black male clientele (n=321) in 1 shop. Six barbers recorded 8953 BP checks during 11 066 haircuts, thus demonstrating a high degree of intervention fidelity. Furthermore, among 107 regular customers with HTN, treatment and control increased progressively with increasing intervention exposure (P<0.01). Taken together, these data suggest that black-owned barbershops can be transformed into effective HTN detection, referral, and follow-up centers. Further research is warranted.
PMID: 17404187

Julia Esparza, MLS, AHIP
Head, User Education and Outreach Services
LSU Health Shreveport
318.675.4179 office