]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2017, Week 4

MEDLIB-L April 2017, Week 4

Re: [SPAM?:###] Re: ?? Hospital library security vs patient/consumer access

"Erwin, Patricia J., M.L.S." <[log in to unmask]>

Erwin, Patricia J., M.L.S.

Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:19:20 +0000

As has been noted, many of us work in a not-public environment.  That is, those who are not staff, employees are in fact, actively barred from our libraries.  I work in a private institution - although that is sometimes overlooked, misunderstood.  Patients and their families do have access to some library resources.  Persons not affiliated with our organization do not have unlimited access to our resources - IT limits access to anyone without accredited ID.  Any unauthorcized access can endanger library staff, medical staff, and patients, physically or informationally.

Many years ago, on a sunny Friday afternoon, a man appeared in the door of my office (not easily done, as I worked on the 14th floor at the time).  His question- do the windows open?  I lied - no, of course not.  After he left (I was totally alone on the floor at the time), I called Security.  They did not locate him, until he came down from the 16th floor.  He had no ID, they assumed he had intended to suicide.   All they could do is trespass him.

Yes, we should be compassionate - but we are not therapists; we are often front-line - we can be at risk.  I have dealt with persons I felt were not fully competent, or in control.  Our local public library hires off-duty cops to remove disruptive, abusive, or violent persons.  I can remember security officers in the downtown public library (different city, not Chicago) more than 45 years ago.

Yes, they may need assistance.  That is not your/my job.  I work in a medical library (have for 45 years) to provide information to MY people.

My comments are my own.

--pat

Patricia J Erwin, MLS
Associate, Division of Education Administration | Assistant Professor of Medical Education | Lead Reference Librarian
Mayo Clinic Libraries |12-47 Plummer Bldg | Rochester MN 55905 | 507-284-4952 | [log in to unmask]