]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  June 2017, Week 3

MEDLIB-L June 2017, Week 3

Re: Chat: general question for academic nursing librarians

"Hedreen, Rebecca C." <[log in to unmask]>

Hedreen, Rebecca C.

Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:45:03 +0000

This is what I try to do. Every semester I review the course schedules and
consult with the faculty and then decide when the best time(s) will be for
that semester. Nursing Research is one of the primary classes, of course,
so I try to schedule something convenient for both our graduate and
undergraduate versions. Also think about your location‹the closer to the
door in/out of the classroom the better! (I have a great spot for the grad
classes, not so good for undergrad.)

That said, I think the primary value of this is visibility, for students
and teaching faculty. I get very few questions, but many appointments,
follow up emails, etc. Unless you are really having trouble making time
for it, I would encourage you to try tweaking time or location before
giving up!

Rebecca

--
Rebecca Hedreen

Library Coordinator for Distance Learning and Sciences Librarian
Hilton C. Buley Library
Southern Connecticut State University
New Haven, CT 06515
Appointments - http://hedreen.youcanbook.me
"My job, a job shared by all academics who teach, involves helping
students understand how information works ­ where it comes from, why
context matters, how to make decisions when you encounter contradictions,
and how to use information fairly and responsibly when trying to persuade
others. That job is carried out all over campus, but at institutions that
focus on undergraduate education, itıs explicitly what our libraries are
for. The library is a lab or studio for creating new meaning using
existing knowledge. (Itıs also a place to study and take naps and
socialize, but those are not why we build libraries.)² Barbara Fister,
Inside Higher Ed, 8/11/16