]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  June 2017, Week 4

MEDLIB-L June 2017, Week 4

Re: Literature Research Requests - What do you give the physicians?

David Owens <[log in to unmask]>

David Owens <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:03:07 +0000

Per request, I'm sending out a collection of the responses I got. If the response was only 1 paragraph in length, I didn't distinguish it with bold/un-bold. Responses more than 1 paragraph in length, I separated with bold/un-bold. Again, thank you all for your very helpful response. See below:

I provide just the articles as attachments.  In the body of the email I will do a short 1 paragraph summary of how the search went.

It depends on the request. If the physician says she just wants a couple of good articles on the topic, I'll send a couple articles and the search results I  used to select them.

For a general search request, I send a word document  for them to select the articles they want. I include abstracts in this document.

We generally search, save results from wherever into one or more Abstract lists, as PDF's, email them the PDF abstract lists, and ask them to look at the abstracts, choose which articles work for them, and then we get those articles as full text PDF's and email the articles to them.

I ask them how much information they want, and usually include 2-3 articles on the topic, preferably review articles, and a list of additional articles they can choose from. As you get to know them you'll find out what their preferences are. You might also find out what they want to focus on; diagnosis and treatment, only drug therapy, etc. Sometimes we're expected to know they only want articles on a specific type of treatment for adults, even though they did not communicate that. For some "no hurry" means next week is fine, and for others that could mean they want it by the end of the day.

We typically provide references, not full articles.  The physician can then retrieve and/or request the article(s) of his/her chosing.  We email the PubMed search results to ourselves to make sure the email comes through from NCBI, and then forward that to the requester with any comments/instructions.  The links in the email are 'live' so that the physican can retrieve the abstracts and any full text that is linked from PubMed that we have access to.

When I do literature searches, I normally send a list of abstracts with full-text links to the users. I include the main search strategy on top, but not the full detail of all the searches I did. For other databases apart from PubMed, I download the full-text articles and attached them.

I always offer that we can order articles we do not have access to, for them from other libraries. I also explain our LinkOut icons.

I am not a hospital librarian but I wanted to share with you the inquiry sheet that my co-worker made for us. It has proven to be very useful. (see attached Search inquiry sheet)

What they want the info for dictates how much I send.  I do work to include any systematic reviews even if they are not the most recent.

I give the requestor a list of the citations + abstracts (when available) with a link to our link resolver.  I search Medline via OVID, and the export to Word function gives me the option to include the link resolver link.  I copy and paste the results into an email that includes instructions and a link to a feedback survey.  Hope this helps.

I provide them with a list of articles with abstracts (most from PubMed). I hand cull the search results, leaving only the most relevant citations based on the search question. Most physicians aren't interested in hard science-type articles, so I include only clinical-type articles. Some librarians I know do not cherry pick articles for the requester, and send everything the search retrieves. All of my (reproducible) search strategies are included, the names of the databases I searched, and the date of the searches. I do not do a summary - not being a clinician, I consider this beyond my skill set.

In my experience - both hospital and academic libraries - everything depends on the situation, so it's important to discuss what your client wants. I've never been in a situation where a doctor has wanted a summary (and really, I'm not the subject expert so I shouldn't be acting as a filter in the first place); but what I have done is given them a list of abstracts so they can decide what's worth looking at in detail.

I am in a small teaching hospital with residents.  So I usually ask people how much they want and what they need it for.   That helps me zero in on the topic.  I also ask what they have done so far as far as research.  I also ask if I can post on Medlib-L if necessary for help and advice. .  Is it a few good articles,  a big search,  is this a overview of a topic,  one or two good review articles (my choice),  a humongous research project of everything (those are real fun - including guidelines, multiple databases,  calls, medlib-L, etc.?) .  I let the patron set the limit.  It may take a little time to narrow it down but it works.   After a while I get to know them and they feel comfortable with you and will let you do the choosing of articles.   I send pdfs for all the articles and summarize any other salient points, discussions with societies I have had, ,include Medlib-L  comments, etc.

I have never been asked to do a Systematic Review here.   But I get a lot of research requests, quick reference requests, searches, article requests,  and all the training/ educatio  from nursing, case management, QI, the residents, physicians offices, etc.

Oh, the other thing no one mentioned and I think is really important is to ask the patron when they need their research. Is it today, tomorrow?  Next week?  If you are picking the articles and sending them to a patron it may take a bit longer then just sending a print-out/them picking.  I always warn my patrons (they like getting the PDFs so will wait - but there are always stragglers from ILL that come after I send the packet as I call it.)  I like getting a date to work to for myself/them(and I can put it on my calendar).   I wait until I have almost all the PDFs and then attach them to one or more emails (depending on your email system) and then send them.  Here we can only send a couple at a time.  So it becomes:   Sciatica info Packet 1, Sciatica Info Packet 2, etc. People here are used to it. LOL :)

My last sentence to each patron when I send off my literature search is something to the effect of:  Please let me know if I have covered everything you need and let me know if there is anything else you need.   I want to make sure I have given them what they need!

 I do not send search strategies.  I find people are not really interested here and just want the information.

I do  list the databases I searched:  PubMed, CiNAHL,  ClinicalKey, UpToDate, DynamedPlus,  Nursing Reference Center,  Wiley Cochrane,  Essential Evidence Plus,  etc.

I work in an acute care community hospital with busy physicians

with medical practices (no residents.)

I give them a search of up to no more than 35 abstracts.

They then select the articles they want.

As I am doing the search-I usually limit it to the past 3 years

(unless there is nothing-and then, I go backwards) and

do reviews, guidelines, standards and evidence based.

I never do a formal review or abstract the information myself-

I am not trained for that.

We do have doctors involved in clinical research as well, so we get a few in-depth or repeat requests (approx. annually) for the same search, so it pays to keep a record of them.

We try to maintain good lines of communication with our requestors, and will ask for further information depending upon what we find when searching. We generally don't include a search strategy for doctors unless they show an interest in how we went about finding the results, but do include the sources, and will sometimes explain any terminological problems. Again, depending on the topic, we will also include links to websites or documents if they are fit for purpose.

! I send the Clipboard lists because many physicians only want to read a few abstracts, but mostly because THEY know what they're looking for more than I do. I would hate to send someone 2-3 articles and have them think/assume that those are either the only references available or that they are representative of the body of research in that area. If a physician asks me for "just a few articles, see if there's a review", I know s/he is looking for an overview, and will send 2-3 review articles on the topic. It's very fluid and individual, which is exactly what it should be.

Someone contacted me re this question of librarians summarizing articles for their patrons. Again, I speak only for me, but I am not in favor of this practice as a routine part of reference services. Our time is valuable and we serve many, many people from all slices of healthcare. Executive summaries are wonderful things, but if we are to do them, IMO we should be paid for them. I once created executive summaries for a physician involved in the prosecution of a med-mal case (full disclosure: physician was my father, an expert witness for decades for both prosecution and defense). For this, I got paid WELL. Given that my father was both Scots and a firm believer in absolutely zero favoritism, I was paid the going rate--and it pays rather well, indeed. It is also hard, time-consuming, exacting work, if done correctly. While I loved the boost in income, I chose not to explore it as a career alternative. I found I no longer read for pleasure and that's a horrible thing (IMO). YMMV.

In all fairness, in my 8 years here, I have never had a physician ask me to summarize articles in my role as a librarian. I did have an RN ask me to do so, for 11 articles I had sent her (she wanted all 11). She seemed taken aback when I said that wasn't part of the service.  Summarizing medical literature appears nowhere in my job description. Again, it may for other medical/academic librarians. If so, I hope their salaries are boosted a bit for that service.

Last point: there are some clinicians who simply want to "plug-in" to the library/librarian and get an answer, fast. With them, I tend to deliver as best I can, but I also start educating them around the edges. I add a sentence or two in my reply email about how topic X may be too broad and a more focused approach will garner more precise results etc. Over time, most clinicians come to realize that if they start early and allow the "reference interview" to unfold in real time (it is really a dialogue, not a one-time thing), the end results are superior to their "jab and grab" approach. (I just made "jab and grab" up. Jab the librarian (aka get his/her attention); grab the results!).