Re: Predatory journals in PubMed

"Truex, Eleanor" <[log in to unmask]>

Truex, Eleanor

Fri, 8 Sep 2017 14:08:35 +0000

Bigger question is this: is NCBI/NLM/NIH aware of this and what steps are they taking to counteract it? I may very well be out of touch with things at that level (highly likely), but I sense profound silence emanating from the federal level on this. Given the current political climate, I also doubt we'll see much progress on this front. So... what can WE do? Educating patrons, while needed, is not going to stem this tide--it's akin to teaching them to swim while waiting for the tsunami. Kudos to Beall et al who have at least tried to grasp and illuminate this issue. I like the banner idea; I see Michelle's point (and agree), but I come back to Pam's point as well: it looks like part of the root problem is the method of grant-approval and funding. But also, I do have to question the PIs--HOW are they choosing their publications? Are there that many amoral researchers out there? I doubt it. I think there are lots of really busy people who think they can decide for themselves because they're very smart, getting duped by slick salesmen.

Anyone have any ideas what we, as librarians, can do? Write our congress-critters? Start a petition and send it to... who? Serious questions; I truly do not know. TIA.

Eleanor Truex BSN, RN, MLIS
Medical Librarian, Lakeshore Region

THIS IS THE POWER OF COMPASSION.
THIS IS PRESENCE.

Presence
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive | Chicago, IL 60657
Office: 773.665.3038
Internal: 81.665.3038

Presence
Saint Francis Hospital
355 North Ridge Avenue | Evanston , IL 60202
Office: 847.316.2460
Internal: 81.847.2460
presencehealth.org

Connect with Presence Health
Find a Doctor | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube

Sponsored by Presence Health Ministries