Re: Supporting EndNote

Shelley Arvin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:46:18 +0000

I have used and taught EndNote for about 12 years now. I participated in a training session which compared Zotero and Mendeley and EndNote. EndNote can do much more than Zotero or Mendeley, which primarily just format the citations. EndNote will actually build (format and put in order) the bibliography for you in Word.

I still prefer EndNote Desktop over EndNote Online. The latter still can't do some of the things I can do on the Desktop.

 And yes, it has "Connection Files" which are little search engines for specific databases. I agree with Paul that the Connection files are not as good as searching the database itself. The EndNote Connection files do not necessarily include all of the limiters of the database search. I don't know if the Connection file for PubMed properly considers the PubMed indexes. So I just use PubMed search and export the results. (http://guides.lib.unc.edu/downloadtoendnote )

Do you have Mac users? They may require a little special attention. I just spent two hours this afternoon helping Mac users install EndNote and learn how to import records and full-text. (Direct export requires extra set up in the Mac...and I am not a Mac user myself.)

If my technology people says that it is okay, I can share how we set up Find Full Text at my campus. You may be able to adjust it for your campus.

And if you care, here are my EndNote support options. http://libguides.indstate.edu/endnote

Shelley Arvin
Librarian Liaison to Nursing, Biology, Chemistry & Physics, Economics, Science Education
Cunningham Memorial Library
Indiana State University
812-237-2605

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Blobaum, Paul
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Supporting EndNote

I am not the administrator. But we want our students to use the native indexes because there are tools to limit by years, Peer Review, etc.  Endnote just retrieves too many random results and downloads them, at least in Pub med and who needs to look through 20,000 PubMed citations in Endnote?  We teach students to do searches in the databases and export to Endnote Online.

If the academic departments are purchasing this, thats their problem to support it if you ask me, especially if you do not have administrator access.

Paul Blobaum, M.A., M.S.            Follow my scholarship at: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fworks.bepress.com%2Fpaul_blobaum&data=02%7C01%7CShelley.Arvin%40INDSTATE.EDU%7C0d28b2a5a7714e6a618908d511a78d38%7C3eeabe396b1c4f95ae682fab18085f8d%7C1%7C0%7C636434333680515753&sdata=t3As5JBkvqBVIi3I7E0gxT4Dtz822pxG7iUSQ1dVa%2BI%3D&reserved=0
Full Professor
University Archivist
College of Health and Human Services Librarian Liaison Scholarly Communications Librarian Governors State University Library University Park, IL  60484  708-534 4139  pblobaum at govst dot edu