]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  October 2017, Week 3

MEDLIB-L October 2017, Week 3

FW: canceling print journals--considerations (nonsecure) SUMMARY

Andrea Rudner <[log in to unmask]>

Andrea Rudner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:32:10 +0000

I was asked to post to the list, so here are all the responses to date.

It was particularly helpful for me to hear that most (all?) did not have regrets, and also that some had kept a few print journals like NEJM and JAMA. I'm not really a cold turkey kind of person, so maybe it will help me do this if I keep 3-5 print subs for 2018 and then reassess for 2019.

I think I responded to everyone individually, but if I missed you, thank you, this was really helpful.  -Andrea

>>I would be interested to hear any comments you get regarding this subject.  I, too, am thinking of going all-electronic - our print journals are not being used that frequently.

>>Another important factor is patrons don't need to stop by library to have access resources  24/7.

>> I've done pretty much the same as you. The only thought I'll share is I decided to keep the print copies of some older (usually around 10-15 years old) issues of some serial publications that few if any libraries showed as owning in DOCLINE; that way, during the (admittedly rare) times somebody needs an article from them, I know we can supply when few if any other libraries can. We've received some DOCLINE requests for them which made me feel "justified" in my decision!

>>We did this early on, I mean many years ago and never regretted it. Of course, we did keep a few print titles such as JAMA. NEJM etc, for the convenience of those who like sitting in the library to read.

>> Some subscriptions are actually cheaper if you do online + print then if you do online only. That is a factor for us whenever we consider cancelling print subscriptions. Also if the online access you have is "rolling" access it's good to have the print back issues since you'll lose access to them online.

>> Been there, done that, and never regretted it for one minute.  Usage, space, and staff time involved in maintenance, checking in, making photocopies... there was just zero downside.  And amazingly, no one complained.  Very occasionally I will get someone who wanders in wondering if they can "just look at recent issues," but those are mostly visitors with time on their hands or maybe the rare retired physician, so not our primary clientele.  Go for it.

>> We still have a couple of docs who like to sit and read NEJM or JAMA. And Medical Economics. Everything else is cancelled

> [...]

Andrea Rudner, MLS
Director/Fournarakis Medical Library
Richmond University Medical Center
355 Bard Avenue