Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  November 2017, Week 1

MEDLIB-L November 2017, Week 1

Re: Predatory Nursing Journals

"Stephen L. Clancy" <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen L. Clancy

Thu, 2 Nov 2017 23:06:41 +0000

Hi, Rachel.

I haven't been able to locate a list purely for nursing journals, but I do have a short list of a few that I've compiled from Beall's last list, available from several places on the Web, such as https://clinicallibrarian.wordpress.com/2017/01/23/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers/ , https://web.archive.org/web/20170111172306/https://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/,  and http://beallslist.weebly.com/.

I've also consulted these sources: https://predatoryjournals.com/publishers/, http://fake-indian-journals.blogspot.com/2015/03/complete-list-of-fake-predatory-or.html, as well as checking the journal/publisher website, checking to see where they are indexed (if anywhere), checking the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), UlrichsWeb, etc.

None of the ones I'm listing are indexed in PubMed/Medline, CINAHL, or the Web of Science.

The ultimate decision rests on the person submitting an article for publication, but here's my short list with a few comments. I'm not calling any of these predatory, just questionable.

American Society of Registered Nurses
1001 Bridgeway, Suite 233
Sausalito, CA 94965
http:/www.asrn.org/
https://www.facebook.com/ASRNNURSES/

This publisher has a number of journals. I was not able to find any mention of a peer-review or an article submission process, despite claims that many are "research" journals.

Many of the articles in the "current issues" are years out of date, e.g., "President Bush Ignores America's Plea For Support Of Stem Cell Research." Each page is peppered with dozens of advertisements.

The Journal of Nursing
ISSN:1940-6967
Tagline: "the foremost scholarly research journal in nursing."
Article in the current issue: "I Have Fibromyalgia Like Lady Gaga, Here's What It's Really Like"

The Journal of Advanced Practice Nursing
ISSN: 1940-5626
Tagline: "The Journal of Advanced Practice Nursing offers important research that serves the needs of advanced practice nurses everywhere."
Article in the current issue: "How Divorce Cured Actress Melanie Griffin's Epilepsy"

The Chronicle of Nursing
ISSN: 1940-5642
Tagline: "The Chronicle of Nursing features articles that will advance your knowledge of medical research and science, CN's approach is two-fold, to demystify and simplify."
Article in the current issue: "Scientists Discover Bladder Cancer Stem Cell"

Nursing Today
ISSN: 1940-6975
Tagline: "Lively, entertaining, and sometimes very personal, Nursing Today  features articles with you in mind, today's nurse. Gain insight from others that share your profession."
Article in the current issue: "Why I Love To Tell People I Have Genital Herpes"

Nursing Shortage Update
ISSN: 1940-6983
Tagline: "The Nursing Shortage Update covers the nursing supply and demand, trending, models, forecasts, and examines how this will affect you and your nursing career."
Article in the current issue: "Japan Survey Warns of Serious Nurse Shortage. Japan will need 69,000 more nurses in April 2008, but the supply will likely fall well short of that mark if current trends continue, according to the Japan Medical Association."

American Nursing Review
ISSN: 1940-5634
Tagline: "The American Nursing Review features articles on the latest scientific and medical findings that affect nursing. It simplifies the concepts and theories of today's modern medicine."
Article in the current issue: "'Macho' Men Visit Doctor Less"

World News & Nursing Report
ISSN: 1940-6991
Tagline: "WNNR is a 'must-read' for every registered nurse. It's simply the best way to stay informed about current news and global events."
Article in the current issue: "ASRN: President Bush Ignores America's Plea For Support Of Stem Cell Research"

Intelligence Report
ISSN: 1940-7009
Tagline: "Intelligence Report sets its 'crossfire' on terrorism, bioterrorism, the avian flu, global warming, XDR-TB and other potential health threats facing nurses."
Article in the current issue: "Obesity Is A Global Problem"

Indian Journal of Advanced Nursing (IJAN)
ISSN: 2394-7160 (online) 2319-815 X [sic]  (print)  Not able to verify this ISSN in Ulrich's, or WorldCat, or DOAJ.
Plot no. 135, Shridharan Nagar,Opposite to Iyyappan Koil,
Ariyankuppam,
Puducherry-605007.
http:/ijan.co.in/   [sic] Actual website is http://ijan.co.in/
Peer Review Process: "One of our most important objectives is to complete the entire editorial process within 3 weeks from the date of submission." "We Ensure Speedy Processing, Publication and Promotion of Quality Work""
The Submission Fee has been kept very nominal (INR 800 only)
On these lists: http://fake-indian-journals.blogspot.com/2015/03/complete-list-of-fake-predatory-or.html & https://predatoryjournals.com/journals/. Beall's List.
The website is fraught with bad grammar.

International Journal of Nursing
http:/www.ijnonline.com
ISSN: 2279-0195
"Fast-Track Review: 50.00 (USD)
With the payment of this fee, the review, editorial decision, and author notification on this manuscript is guaranteed to take place within 4 weeks."
On these lists: http://fake-indian-journals.blogspot.com/2015/03/complete-list-of-fake-predatory-or.html & https://predatoryjournals.com/journals/ . Beall's List.
The website is badly designed, and fraught with bad grammar.

Hope this helps.

--
Steve Clancy, MLS
Research Librarian for Health Sciences and Nursing Science